S/PDIF finally working like a charm!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.

How did these workarounds go?

The "clean one" helped me!
61%
The "dirty one" helped me!
6%
Neither of them!
33%

Total votes: 18

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 24 Jun 2007 07:23

Look for drivers. Search the forums for your chip set to see if others here have found a solution.

flummox1
New Cone
New Cone

alternative...

Postby flummox1 » 28 Jun 2007 03:14

Or just use Media player (gasp!) since it seems to work fine until VLC is fixed in a future version.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: S/PDIF finally working like a charm!

Postby DJ » 28 Jun 2007 11:00

I don't believe the DirectX module is scheduled for any changes in the next version (0.9.0). Considering there are no problems with using S/PDIF and the older method of addressing the audio card (Win32 waveOut extension output) it is doubtful anything will be done anytime soon. Also considering the only people having issues seem to refuse to believe that the problem could be the audio card (drivers) on their end, I guess they will continue to blame VLC and not try to fix the issue. :P

flummox1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flummox1 » 15 Jul 2007 03:05

Please.

Agree it could work fine with other audio cards/chipsets but the fact remains it works with other programs and not with VLC. For whatever reason. Maybe the drivers are at fault but other programs make it work and VLC doesn't. Since I'm on the most recent driver simple troubleshooting says to spend time looking at the one thing that isn't working... not things that are.

dan0311
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dan0311 » 30 Oct 2007 05:25

Okay, DJ...I have been in these forums for what seems like days, and I have noticed that you seem to be in complete denial that there is a problem with VLC and spdif. Just look at the poll on this thread! A GREAT NUMBER of people did not have any luck with either fix.

I just upgraded my Realtek drivers with ones that came out literally last week, so my drivers are up to snuff. Others here have continually stated that other players do fine with spdif.

In every case, your immediate response is "the problem is on your end" when it is pretty obvious that there seems to be a massive flaw in VLC that doesn't handle ac3 through spdif. Why are you in denial of this fact?

And if you can't help these poor frustrated folks (me included) then try this...just don't post a response. I loved the novel you wrote to the guy whose volume was lower, then it turns out that its lower because he forgot to turn it back up.

You are obviously very knowledgable, so dude...help us with this problem...don't deny it exists. You seem to be one of the smartest guys in this metaverse and if you solve this, you will be a freaking HERO, so please....use that big ol brain for something other than saying "its not vlc's fault."

Sorry to be such a jerk, but its been a loooong week. Help us, DJ Kenobi...

dan0311
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dan0311 » 30 Oct 2007 08:25

Okay, I finally tried the recommended Media Player Classic with ffdshow (or you could use ac3 filter, I guess). A few tweaks and I am listening to stutter free 5.1 surround from mkv, video_ts, etc. This problem absolutely, without a doubt, lies with the vlc player and its compatability issues with Direct Show.

So I can finally enjoy my new HTPC after TWO WEEKS of screwing with this problem.

And before you get too far in my grill because I'm griping about a free program, yes, I know its free. But I have invested hours setting it up, tweaking the keyboard shortcuts, etc. I have also downloaded stuff in formats that media center won't play without more hours of tweaking (iso and img disc images, which play fine in vlc, but have to be unzipped to be played in MPC.

Plus, I REALLY REALLY LOVE VLC. It's the greatest player out there, and the only thing more maddening than this MASSIVE GLITCH is guys like DJ who claim there's no problem He reminds me of John Cleese as the Black Knight in MP and the Holy Grail..."Your arm's off!" "No it isn't"

I sincerely hope somebody somewhere fixes this issue. Media Player Classic is a poor redneck cousin to VLC and doesn't have nearly the flexibility, navigation, and ease of use.

But just as I have had to abandon so many other of my favorite programs because of glitches, incompatabilities, etc, I fear I may never use this again, because someone threw a chihuahua turd in with the pinto beans. It just takes one.

Last word...gentlemen, the HTPC is the wave of the future and you will run into a thousand more guys next year simply trying to get their HD Audio from their PC to their receivers. The answer CAN'T be "try to find an older driver or version that works." And if you are trying to do it while not addressing a fundamental incompatability with DirectShow, then...wow.

Hope this gets addressed, or somebody comes up with a real workaround. MPC is gonna get old real quick, I fear.

Sorry if some of my tech jargon was off. I know most of you are more knowledgable than me. But I DO know when something is effed up, and this is pretty sad.

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 30 Oct 2007 17:00

Hi,

nobody is working on the windows version of VLC, just because nobody cares.

So windows problems are likely to stay for a loooong time, until some windows guy join the team.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”