MSI Release of 3.0.21

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
brich4750
New Cone
New Cone

MSI Release of 3.0.21

Postby brich4750 » 12 Jul 2024 14:37

Read the locked post and also wondered when the MSI version would be released.
I looked at the https://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/ site and for every version I checked of Windows releases the EXE and MSI version were uploaded on the same day.

Perhaps did the MSI get created and forgotten to be uploaded?
Did the team that makes MSI Installer have issues and was going to circle back around to it and got sidetracked?

As an IT Engineer I can see both of these scenarios happening.

Since my Deployments are already using the MSI switching to exe is not a supported path.

Patiently waiting for a MSI Installer for over 10k systems.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: MSI Release of 3.0.21

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 Jul 2024 17:43

VLC 3.0.21 will not be released as MSI nor with automatic updates due to regressions.

With that being said, I don't think large institutional installations should be relying on the volunteer team for releases, especially not timely releases.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

brich4750
New Cone
New Cone

Postby brich4750 » 12 Jul 2024 22:03

I can understand testing and what not but this is the first release in Many Years that didn't have a MSI Released at the same time as an EXE release.

And Large Institution?

Sorry should have elaborated I manage Several Clients that total over 10K systems, not a single client.

I can wait for the next release to be released with a MSI Installer unless We run into and CVE that need patching.

Then it will be fun to remove the MSI Everywhere and install the exe.

And by Fun i mean none at all.

That being said i still stand by the comment about the Packaging team Missing an upload or the MSI Failed and got busy with Nightly msi builds and forgot about little old 3.0.21 version.
VLC 3.0.21 will not be released as MSI nor with automatic updates due to regressions.

With that being said, I don't think large institutional installations should be relying on the volunteer team for releases, especially not timely releases.
VLC Releases have always been Timely in the past no reason why they wouldn't be so now or in the future.

7zip is a single guy as are various other pieces of software used both privately and in the Business and Education Sectors.

No reason to put down the VLC Team for what is most likely a simple missed upload or failed build.

brich4750
New Cone
New Cone

Postby brich4750 » 12 Jul 2024 22:20

As an IT Engineer i have written Many, Many, MANY Script that do various things and sometimes what works for Client 1 will not work for Client 2, so like i said i can understand Testing and What not.

And I am not trying to call anyone out as I am sure the Videolan Team are hard at work on the next Big release.

Just thought it was ODD that this is the first version without a MSI release as far back as I tracked.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 13 Jul 2024 08:58

AFAIK, the executable installer is a PITA to build, because the build infrastructure is of course Linux-based. And the MSI is ten times worse. If you want timely MSI, you are most welcome to contract professional to make sure they happen, or to help the team make them.

As for testing, it's entirely dependent on people building the sources or downloading the nightly builds and reporting regressions. Currently there are indeed very few people actually testing, so there are a lot of regressions. Again, if you want it otherwise, you are most welcome to pay people to test or test yourself.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

InTheWings
Developer
Developer
VLC version: crashing

Postby InTheWings » 21 Aug 2024 07:56

We can indemnify you 3x the price you paid your license for failed MSI releases.
Or just fix it, or wait

and reporting answers you don't like won't speed up the process
:!: If you want your problem to be solved :
* First read troubleshooting guide VSG:Main
* Always provide verbose LOGS ! (command line or from gui)
* Always check your issue against a developer build from Nightly Build of VLC
* Tell us when your problem is solved !

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”