macOS specific usage questions
davidgreg
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: Mac OS X
Operating System: Other

VLC Media Player for macOS Troubleshooting

Postby davidgreg » 02 Jan 2024 22:24

Hello VLC users on macOS! If you're encountering issues with the VLC media player on your Mac and need assistance, you've come to the right place. This post aims to address common problems and provide troubleshooting steps to help you get VLC running smoothly on your macOS device.

Before You Begin:

Check for Updates:
Ensure you have the latest version of VLC installed. Updates often include bug fixes and improvements that may resolve your issue.

System Requirements:
Confirm that your macOS version meets the minimum requirements for the VLC version you're using.

Troubleshooting Steps:

Playback Issues:

If VLC isn't playing your media files correctly, try converting the file to a different format using VLC's built-in conversion features.
Ensure your media file isn't corrupted. Test playback with other media files to rule out file-specific issues.
Audio/Video Sync Problems:

Adjust the synchronization using the "J" and "K" keys on your keyboard.
In VLC preferences, under "Audio," try changing the output module or adjusting synchronization options.
Crashes and Freezes:

Check if the issue persists with different media files. If it's file-specific, the file may be corrupt.
Disable hardware acceleration in preferences (Input/Codecs > Video Codecs > FFmpeg > Disable hardware decoding).
Reinstall VLC. Completely remove the existing installation before installing the latest version.
Subtitle Issues:

Ensure your subtitle file (.srt, .sub, etc.) has the same name as the video file and is in the same directory.
Adjust subtitle settings in VLC preferences (Subtitles/OSD).
Network Streaming Problems:

Check your internet connection.
Ensure the streaming source is accessible and not restricted by firewalls or security settings.
Community Support:

If you've tried the above steps and are still facing issues, feel free to describe your problem in detail below. Include information such as your macOS version, VLC version, and specific error messages if any. The community will do its best to assist you!

Remember, this forum is a collaborative space, so be respectful and patient. Let's work together to ensure everyone enjoys a seamless VLC experience on macOS.

Happy troubleshooting!

briaboy
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Media Player for macOS Troubleshooting

Postby briaboy » 03 Jan 2024 00:16

Hello - my VLC player has suddenly stopped opening my mkv files. I'm using the latest version, and the mkv files are playing perfectly well on other media apps. I haven't changed any settings etc on my computer since I last used vlc a few days ago...any thoughts? Thanks!

Using iMac 2020 Intel, OS Ventura 13.6

richinuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby richinuk » 06 Jan 2024 11:14

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. I've tried several mkv files 3GB+ and get the following error report. I've got an MacBook Pro M2 Max 32GB RAM Sonoma 14.2.1
The files play perfectly on my Sony TV running VLC, which is networked to MacBook. I just can't play them on my MacBook.

Process: VLC [870]
Path: /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC
Identifier: org.videolan.vlc
Version: 3.0.20 (3.0.20)
Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
User ID: 501
Date/Time: 2024-01-06 09:54:27.2735 +0000
OS Version: macOS 14.2.1 (23C71)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 712DE2FE-C0CC-AA7E-0158-D852CABF5622

Time Awake Since Boot: 96 seconds
System Integrity Protection: enabled
Crashed Thread: 27

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 6 Abort trap: 6
Terminating Process: VLC [870]

Application Specific Information:
stack buffer overflow

davidgreg
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: Mac OS X
Operating System: Other

Postby davidgreg » 08 Jan 2024 23:58

Hey there! It sounds like a peculiar issue. First, try reinstalling VLC to ensure a clean installation. If the problem persists, check for codec conflicts or updates. Additionally, review VLC preferences for any inadvertent changes. Keep us posted! 🎬🔧

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”