Cannot See UPNP and Local Network Options VLC iOS 3.2.13

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
shannonbrown
New Cone
New Cone

Cannot See UPNP and Local Network Options VLC iOS 3.2.13

Postby shannonbrown » 19 Dec 2020 04:25

VLC for iOS 3.2.13

The iOS VLC 3.2.13 description indicates "Local Network service discovery with UPnP and native support for Plex"

I also read about Local Network etc.

However, I am not seeing any options in the App for Local Network nor for UPNP discovery.

I have a SMB (SAMBA) share and that does appear under the NETWORK tab as File Servers. But I see no way to list other UPNP shares (e.g., a test KODI server). Verified that I am on the same network but don't see these options.

In the Windows 10 VLC, I confirm that I see the UPnP server listed in the desktop version of Local Network...UPnP. On the iOS app, I don't even see any options for Local Network or anything about UPnP. The NETWORK tab on the iOS version only lists Cloud..Network Stream...Downloads,,,and Sharing via WIFI. But nothing about local network or UPnP.

How do I see the Local Network...UPNP servers?

ebomb
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Cannot See UPNP and Local Network Options VLC iOS 3.2.13

Postby ebomb » 21 Dec 2020 03:39

Hi there.

I'm not sure what your iOS version is. I think starting in iOS 14, you have to give each app permission to ~"locate resources" on your network. If you dismissed this dialog box, I think you will have problems. You can go to Settings | VLC | "Local Network" should be turned on.

If it is turned on, across the bottom bar of VLC, I have "Video | Audio | Playlists | Network | Settings". I find my SMB servers and UPnP devices in the "Network" tab.

shannonbrown
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shannonbrown » 21 Dec 2020 04:06

Thanks eBomb.
I am starting to suspect the iPhone App.
iOS 14.3
VLC for iOS 3.2.13

I had hoped that this would be a simple project with a simple UPnP server to display some home, holiday greeting videos. Spent another day on this today.

I even setup a new openmediavault server with a very simple DLNA/UPnP server with some test video greetings. Works fine with a smartTV and works fine with a desktop version of VLC. You go to VLC...Local Network...UPnP. The holiday greetings play fine.

I uninstalled and reinstalled VLC for iOS. A plain vanilla install. iOS 14.3 Settings...VLC...Local Network selected as ON (green). I then open VLC and Video...Audio...Playlists...Network...Settings show at the bottom.
I select Network.
Under File Servers (no UPnP/DLNA servers ever appear). I do see one SAMBA share (this is different) so VLC is detecting something on the network but no UPnP/DLNA servers. I also see a SSH option for the newly created openmediavault server (with SSH enabled). However, I see no UPnP/DLNA servers, any other UPnP/DLNA settings, or way to configure UPnP/DLNA.
I don't recall the original install of VLC on iOS. The Local Network has always been green but I don't recall a prompt.
Thanks.

shannonbrown
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shannonbrown » 21 Dec 2020 04:35

FIXED
Thanks eBomb. You gave some clues and motivation to try more.

Well now I feel like an idiot but recount this here in case others face this issue. iPhone 14.3 and VLC 3.2.13 (with VPN app on iOS)

I went back and uninstalled VLC, used a date trick to wipe the settings (set date ahead two days, turn off, turn on, set date back, turn off, turn on), and reinstalled VLC. I saw the prompt for allow network access. I responded yes.

Still no UPnP/DLNA servers (I do see a SSH and SAMBA option).

I worked through settings on the iPhone. I use a VPN. I turned off the VPN entirely. BINGO. The UPnP/DLNA servers immediately appeared in VLC. Did not know that all traffic (even internal network) seem to route through the VPN. Very odd.

ebomb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ebomb » 21 Dec 2020 16:11

Ah, VPNs have two generic modes: [1] capture all traffic and use the VPN default route; or [2] capture selected traffic (usually for a corporate reason) and use the default VPN route whilst the Internet traffic uses your ISP default route. This is sometimes called "split VPN". It sounds like your VPN is in full capture mode. Even in full capture mode, there's usually an exception for one subnet -- usually for printers and such. It may even be part of some RFC. What I've seen the most of is 192.168.253.0/24. If you keep your home network in that subnet and it is allowed, everything would still be seen, even if the VPN is in full capture mode.

IrwinMFletcher
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby IrwinMFletcher » 22 Apr 2021 20:54

I updated to 14.4 a few days ago, everything worked normal for most of the week. Then just today I get the new prompt to allow VLC network access. I grant but no DLNA servers are shown. Reset all network settings, no help. Don't have a VPN. I guess uninstall/re-install is next.

...and reinstall didn't help. Thanks Apple for making my iPad TOO secure.

...and fixed, this security stuff is getting deep - but I can appreciate it.

Article that gave me the clue to solve MY particular problem: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

Turned OFF private address for the connection to MY home network. Works again. This would likely only affect a small number of people like me that use the MAC address to grant permissions to access a DLNA server on the local network. Guess I deserve this for being so security conscious :mrgreen:

But I'll certainly turn that ON for any networks outside my home.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”