DVD playback is garbage in VLC, but works without problem with the Windows DVD player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ohnousernamerequired
New Cone
New Cone

DVD playback is garbage in VLC, but works without problem with the Windows DVD player

Postby ohnousernamerequired » 07 Jun 2020 23:27

Hey guys!

I have a very big problem with VLC and first thought that the cause would be the DVD, but I have encountered it again now.

The problem is: I try to play a DVD with either an internal or external drive and run VLC to watch it, but the quality is REALLY bad. Total garbage to be exact.

The quality is something like 360/480p AT BEST. I tried everything from activating De-Interlacing, changing the resolution VLC works from, etc. etc.

Nothing worked. I first had this problem when trying to watch "The Shape of Water". I thought "well the quality can't seriously be THAT bad! So I downloaded the test version of the Windows DVD Player (NOT Windows Media Player) from the Windows Store and tried to run the same DVD. Suddenly a whole different main menu popped up (way better resolution) and the movie player in something like 720p/1080p and without a problem. Unfortunately the "Test Version" had a big "vision blocker" in the middle, so I couldn't watch it that way. Furthermore Microsoft charges you 15 $ for that program and I also really don't want to give Microsoft my payment data... (so I watched the movie in that bad quality and suffereeeeed)

Today, I wanted to watch "Knives Out" on a totally different PC (notebook) with a 4k display and an external DVD-player and I have this problem AGAIN. The quality is utter --please stay polite--. I popped out the DVD, went downstairs and popped it into the regular family DVD player. Worked fine with really good quality.

What the hell is the problem with VLC and DVD playback? Why is it so bad and why hasn't this been fixed a long time ago (the last story was over a year ago)?

chubinou
Developer
Developer

Re: DVD playback is garbage in VLC, but works without problem with the Windows DVD player

Postby chubinou » 08 Jun 2020 10:02

hum, actually DVD resolution *is* 480p (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Video_data)

Regarding your problem check that you don't have any filter enabled.
You may also try to disable hardware acceleration to see whether this make a difference.

for the menu, when opening the DVD check if "no-disc-menu" is unchecked.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”