Airplay not work from Iphone?

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
dilemma
New Cone
New Cone

Airplay not work from Iphone?

Postby dilemma » 01 Jan 2020 17:05

I have an iphone 11 and appletv 3rd gen. Cannot get VLC to play video over airplay, only get the sound. Is it suppose to work?

KarlPedal
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Airplay not work from Iphone?

Postby KarlPedal » 02 Jan 2020 02:17

I have the same problem.
iPhone 6s with iOS 13.3
AppleTV 4k with tvOS 13.3
VLC for iOS 3.2.6 (344)

No picture is shown on the TV when using airplay to play videos that are stored on the iPhone. Sending to Chromecast works fine.

tch
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tch » 02 Jan 2020 18:47

I have the same problem too - when I activate AirPlay for video in VLC (both iPhone and iPad have the same issue, for locally stored video) then video is played on iOS device but sound is played on AppleTV.

iPhone 11 Pro - iOS 13.3
iPad Pro 9,7” - iPadOS 13.3
AppleTV 4k - tvOS 13.3
VLC for iOS 3.2.6

The same time the same video from the same devices is played through AirPlay on the same AppleTV without any problems using other video player app - OPlayer Light. So it looks as a bug of VLC.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 03 Jan 2020 10:42

You need to enable Screen Mirroring for AirPlay to work. As this is quite energy demanding and leads to a drop in video quality, consider using VLC's native Apple TV instead (which regrettably is not an option for the 3rd generation Apple TV).
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

KarlPedal
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KarlPedal » 03 Jan 2020 23:54

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately screen mirroring is not a feasible option for me due to the considerably reduced quality and transcoding. I really prefer a player that sends the movie as it is without any transcoding. I have noticed that most "casting" apps transcode videos even when it's not necessary. Hopefully the VLC team can make airplay work in the future but it's probably a challenge due to limited documentation of Apple APIs.
For your information, airplay seems to work in nplayer.

dmmar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dmmar » 01 Apr 2021 09:52

Hi,

Screen Mirroring for AirPlay is a bit lagging for me, so this solution is not really usable infortunatly ... I hope VLC team could fix this problem soon.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”