Using VLC Player with ActiveX in Powerpoint 2019

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
gamdaf2
New Cone
New Cone

Using VLC Player with ActiveX in Powerpoint 2019

Postby gamdaf2 » 23 Apr 2019 19:53

Hey everybody,

I want to include the VLC player into my Powerpoint presentation in order to play some video. I followed the general procedure that can be found at many places [1,2]. I first did not find the "VLC ActiveX Plugin and IE Web Plugin v2", however, this was due to an Office 32-bit and VLC 64-bit version [3].

Now I have the problem that when I start the presentation the vlc video section stays blank. I thought most probably the MRL is just wrong, but I checked it now so often and wrote it in so many different ways that I really do not know what to do anymore. The videofile and the presentation are definitely in the same folder so I simply use "name.mp4". I tried it with and without quotation marks, but also absolute pathes in various forms or with and without the filetype-ending. I also converted the video to wmv or other types but it changes nothing. I still think somehow that VLC is simply not finding the video, but I really do not know what I do wrong. I desperately need some help here..

Version Office: 365 MSO (16.0.11601.20068) 64-Bit
VLC Version: 3.0.6 Vetinari
Windows: 10 Education

Thanks a lot!

[1] https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=67587
[2] https://smallbusiness.chron.com/insert- ... 40733.html
[3] https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=106101

mapmark
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Using VLC Player with ActiveX in Powerpoint 2019

Postby mapmark » 06 Mar 2021 19:05

This took me a long time to figure out because all the tutorials for inserting videos into Windows 10 Powerpoint are wrong. They all say to use the file-path (the Location path that's listed when right clicking on a file and selecting Properties) as the MRL of the video, which as you said, doesn't work. To correctly link to a VLC ActiveX plugin video, first open up VLC, then go to Media > Convert/Save > Add, and then find the video file you want to link to. Once you've found the file, click on it and select open, then at the bottom of the Open Media window select the 'Show more options' box, which will show you the MRL link to the video that VLC uses. Copy that link, now when you go to the Powerpoint slide where you used the Developer Tab to insert the VLC ActiveX Plugin by selecting it under the 'More Controls' button, right click on the inserted plugin and select 'Property Sheet'. Listed with all the other play options, you'll see a place to add an MRL link, paste the VLC MRL path and close the window. Saving the presentation and re-opening it might also help, but I don't think it's necessary, and the video should now open using the VLC ActiveX plugin.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”