50 Objects only in network folder shown up

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
SBA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

50 Objects only in network folder shown up

Postby SBA » 17 Mar 2019 23:21

Hi There,
First a big ‘Thank You’ to all the contributors of VLC.
Actually I have an issue with the current iOS version of VLC Version: 3.1.7 (322) on two different iPhones in combination with NAS functions of the at least in Germany very popular AVM Fritzboxes 7490 and 7590.
I have more than 50 objects in a directory on the NAS drive formatted in NTFS attached to either of these two routers with NAS functions. But the VLC Player for iOS does not show up more than 50 objects (files and directory names) in the according network directory.
Using an Amazon FireTV stick (connected by upnp) full access(es) to all more than 50 objects in the same directories is (are) possible.
So I can limit the issue most certainly to the iOS-version of VLC.
Using a plain browser for the Fritzboxes GUI, also all files show up.
Anyone with an idea?
Thanks!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: 50 Objects only in network folder shown up

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Mar 2019 19:56

Are those UPnP folders?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

SBA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SBA » 18 Mar 2019 22:45

I’d guess they are UPnP, since I am not an expert. The Fritzbox with the NAS drive is set to run as Media Server, stating that the playing device must support Standard UPnP. And when I use VLC (connecting with UPnP) on the FireTV stick, I have full access to all approx 200 files and directories in the directory instead of the alphabetical ordered first 50 ones while using VLC on the iPhone.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Mar 2019 08:14

OK. Will try to improve/fix
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

SBA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SBA » 21 Mar 2019 12:19

That would be great. Thanks a lot.

SBA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SBA » 11 Apr 2019 20:59

Saw todays’ VLC for iOS update but it seems as if this bug did not get fixed?
Changelog isn‘t telling too much.

SBA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SBA » 12 Jun 2019 13:37

I referred to AVM’s support team (manufacturer of the FritzBoxes). After several days of analysis in second and third level they replied that the error is located in the client. The Fritzboxes always deliver 50 items per request to prevent overloads in networks or clients. They declare this method as a usual way. The error must be in the client not requesting a further 50 items. They told me to look into the clients setting (how much I love such advices as a user) and adjust accordingly. Since I don’t know of any ways to change such a setting by myself I hope that this helps the VLC team to find a way to fix this. At least this message might help you in finding the bug.
Thanks a lot and best regards.

Rally
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rally » 29 Jun 2019 09:28

I can confirm the issue when using the VLC mobile client on iPad and iPhone with current iOS. In the VLC mobile app only the first 50 subfolders are displayed from a mediaserver running on a AVM FRITZ!Box 7590 or 7490. Surprisingly, the desktop version of the VLC player installed on a current macOS Mojave shows all available subfolders of the mediaserver. Additionally, on a FRITZ!Phone connected to the FRITZ!Box all subfolders are displayed and music titles can be selected and played.
Using the VLC app on an Apple TV I am facing the same probleme as described: Only the first 50 subfolders are displayed.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 30 Jun 2019 23:17

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this issue with AVM. In fact, this is limited to the specific UPnP stack used by VLC on iOS and tvOS and is only an issue with their devices. Coaccidentally, I discovered one of those devices at one of my friend's places and will try to fix it as time allows.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

SBA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SBA » 02 Jul 2019 15:05

@Felix: If this is a bug in VLC for iOS, I wonder if this appears in connection with other manufacturers of UPnP-/NAS Servers, aside from AVM Fritzboxes.

In the meantime I face problems with accessing the same libraries with VLC on the FireTV-Stick. I wonder if this is related or not - then I‘d open another topic in the fireOS-/Android section for VLC. The VLC sums up approx 3000 items on the Fritzbox-NAS, which is correct, but says the directories are empty and does not show up file names. This happens occasionally- the other week it‘s just fine.
That‘s pretty irritating for me as a non-technician.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 02 Jul 2019 15:31

The iOS/tvOS issue is limited to Fritzbox devices. We never received any complaints about any other devices.

The Android / FireTV port uses a different UPnP library so this is a different problem and should also show on desktop platforms.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

SBA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SBA » 22 Jul 2019 11:04

It seems as if there were other users affected already more than one year ago. I found this thread https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=144060
which obviously did not ever get any reply.
It would be great to see that fixed soon. I‘d appreciate and suggest a collaboration with the developers of AVM since their products lead the market at least in Germany. That could be of benefit for both - VLC and AVM - since they don‘t have an own working client software anymore for their media servers on Fritzbox.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 20 Oct 2019 14:18

A collaboration with AVM did not happen in the end, but I found a suitable testing device at a friend's place. The problem is resolved for the forthcoming 3.2.3 update of VLC-iOS.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

SBA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SBA » 28 Oct 2019 07:37

Thank you very much!
It‘s sad that there wasn‘t anymore support by AVM but some links...

Robot00
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Robot00 » 24 Dec 2019 13:09

A collaboration with AVM did not happen in the end, but I found a suitable testing device at a friend's place. The problem is resolved for the forthcoming 3.2.3 update of VLC-iOS.
I am running 3.2.6 and still have this issue on iOS when trying to move files from my camera that is acting as server. Only 50 files are shown.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”