Casting VLC to chromecast result in black screen with only the title of the file displayed on tv

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Rezzonico
New Cone
New Cone

Casting VLC to chromecast result in black screen with only the title of the file displayed on tv

Postby Rezzonico » 29 Dec 2018 19:32

Hi Everybody,

I try to search the forum but could not find anybody else with this problem.

Whenever I try to cast trough VLC, the screen on my tv becomes black and the title of the file that I am trying to play appears, but nothing else for a couple of minute.
This is until a message pops up from vlc on my laptop : Casting requires conversion and can drain battery.
I select OK.
At times, the casting icon appears on the screen and then disappear to go back to the file name.
Nothing else happens

First of all:
-The chromecast is working fine with youtube, screen mirroring through chrome and other applications
- I tried to cast vlc at my parents house and it is working ( with their older laptop)
- I have played both mkv and mp4 file with the same result (black screen with title)
- With Soda Player I was able to cast some files, but I would love to use VLC :-)

I have windows 7
The latest version of VLC 3.04
BT smart hub type A is my Router.

Here is an extract of the log file (could not fit it all with the 2000 characters limit, ..). The Stale Plugins Cache error is repeated thousands times..
To help you, we need messages, to completely understand what your problems is.

From windows command line or linux or macos terminal, launch vlc with options -vv and --logfile=file

• Windows example: vlc.exe -vv --logfile=c:\vlclog.txt
  • Linux example: vlc -vv --logfile=vlclog.txt, or vlc -vv 2>&1 > logfile.txt
Then paste the full resulting log here between [​code]and[​/code] (or use Pastebin.com if it's too long)

Also don't forget to name your Operating System and provide the VLC media player version.

Any idea on what I can do?

Thanks!

MaximumFish
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Casting VLC to chromecast result in black screen with only the title of the file displayed on tv

Postby MaximumFish » 31 Dec 2018 11:47

Just registered to say I'm having the same issue with VLC and my Android TV, using Windows 10 and VLC 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 (tried both 32 and 64 bit versions, just in case, but the result is the same). The TV shows the title of the file and VLC counts up to 29 seconds, sometimes multiple seconds at a time, and then it resets to zero and stops.

It used to work fine so I'm not entirely sure what's changed. I'll try rolling back a few versions when I get the chance to troubleshoot some more and look to post some logs, but it could also be something on the TV end I suppose (it auto-updates overnight). For what it's worth, casting to the TV from Chrome works without issue.

Appreciate any thoughts!

onerockcoal
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Casting VLC to chromecast result in black screen with only the title of the file displayed on tv

Postby onerockcoal » 31 Dec 2018 16:46

I cam confirm I am having the same issue.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 02 Jan 2019 19:00

Hi,

It's weird, it looks like a format issue, but it should fallback to supported format if it fails. Do you have more log in more verbose mode?
To help you, we need messages, to completely understand what your problems is.
To fix this, please be sure before you start the playback to:
  1. Open: Tools -> Messages.
  2. Set Verbosity to 2
  3. Start playback to reproduce your issue
  4. Save text in a file or copy into clipboard
  5. Then paste the full resulting log here between [​code]and[​/code] (or use Pastebin.com if it's too long)
Also don't forget to name your Operating System and provide the VLC media player version.

sleepeasy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sleepeasy » 05 Jan 2019 00:37

I'm having the same issue on Ubuntu 18.10 with VLC 3.0.5

https://pastebin.com/i9AAEegt

MaximumFish
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MaximumFish » 07 Jan 2019 00:10

I got around to trying each version going back to 3.0.1, which definitely used to work but now doesn't. Reinstalled 3.0.5 and got debug messages:

https://pastebin.com/jAmuvNC6

Edit: Just tried casting to my Google Home Hub and that worked straight away. Switched the renderer back to my (Sony) Android TV and the problem returned.

Edit 2: Right, it appears to be an Android TV issue. I was looking at this page that lists the current versions of Chromecast and noticed that the 2nd generation is listed as version 1.36a.140138 whereas my TV has 1.36.140076. The latest version doesn't appear to be available for my TV (nor is it available on APKMirror) so I uninstalled all updates instead, rolling it back to 1.27.96538, and then casting worked, albeit only for a couple of minutes.

That said, the latest version for Android TV is listed in that article as 1.30.109591, so maybe the article is out of date.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 08 Jan 2019 16:57

Hi, google seems to remove some audio support for their chomecast, especially with mp4a, so it might be the issue. We'll try to force transcoding mp4a.

VIS
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VIS » 12 Jan 2019 04:33

Hello,
I have same issue with black screen on MacOS and Windows. Here's the debug log from Windows 10 64 bit.
VLC Debug: https://pastebin.com/gEW0Hchs
VLC Version: 3.0.6
TV: Sony Bravia XF9005 55' with Chromecast built-in
Chromecast built-in version: 1.36.140076

Thank you! :)

smokingloon4
New Cone
New Cone

Postby smokingloon4 » 16 Jan 2019 17:55

Same issue here, with Windows and VLC 3.0.5 and 3.0.6.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 17 Jan 2019 10:05

Hi, this should be fixed in the next release of VLC. It was broken with updates from google.

roefsknoef
New Cone
New Cone

Postby roefsknoef » 21 Jan 2019 20:44

Hi, im having the exact same problem. Bought the chromecast for the purpose of vlc streaming but without any luck so far.
[black screen + title, after 30 seconds: Casting requires conversion and can drain battery]
vlc 3.0.4 on mac 10.14.2 with chromecast 2018

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 22 Jan 2019 09:59

@roefsknoef: can you try a nightly so as to check the problem will be fixed for you?

MaximumFish
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MaximumFish » 23 Jan 2019 23:56

@roefsknoef: can you try a nightly so as to check the problem will be fixed for you?
Just tried the 20190122 build of 3.0.7 and it's now working for me. Fingers crossed that's fixed it for everyone. Thanks! :)

Rezzonico
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rezzonico » 26 Jan 2019 01:35

Still not working (but I am now with vlc 3.06 and still windows 7)
https://pastebin.com/QaM5S7B5

I have tried to install 20190122 build of 3.0.7, same problem :(
https://pastebin.com/sP8r4zz6

Many thanks for your help!

jogom30
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jogom30 » 02 Feb 2019 21:14

same problem after reinstall windows on my pc. So it must be a matter of configuration. I didn´t fix it yet, despite i installed the last vlc version.

krajorama
New Cone
New Cone

Postby krajorama » 10 Feb 2019 19:33

On Linux xubuntu with Sony Bravia KD-65XF8577 this VLC version works:

# snap refresh --beta vlc
vlc (beta) 3.0.6-57-gaaa1db8 from VideoLAN✓ refreshed

I tried 3.0.4, 3.0.6 before, none of those worked, they just gave blank screen.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 11 Feb 2019 18:24

Hi, we found a sample that reproduce the issue, we just have to find the corresponding property preventing the TV to read the video. We might add a "force transcode" option directyl in the interface to workaround these kind of issues, but it might not be intuitive the first time you need it. :/

I'll keep you updated on this thread.

dburns99
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dburns99 » 13 Feb 2019 22:11

Had same issue. Was working fine a day or so ago.

Got around it by installing the Videostream extension in Chrome. It lets you cast local videos by dropping them into an open tab in Chrome.

I'd rather use VLC but this'll have to do till we get a solution.

merixyboy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby merixyboy » 14 Feb 2019 00:05

Hi,

same issue here.
I tried with the latest version (3.0.6) and a couple of the latests nightlies, but I still get the same error

My OS is windows 7 64bit

https://pastebin.com/18GRhhmM

sep
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sep » 03 Apr 2019 01:26

3.0.7-20190331-0713 worked for me.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 03 Apr 2019 08:49

Hi, sorry for missing this post, it should be fixed in 3.0.7 yes

noypidude
New Cone
New Cone

Postby noypidude » 02 May 2019 01:20

I think the problem is caused by your firewall. Try turning off your firewall and see if it works. If it does configure your firewall to allow vlc to render.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 04 May 2019 12:53

firewall issue would mean you don't see the chromecast at all. If it renders black screen, it means the issue is on our side (well, usually either because of a chromecast update that remove features, or a format that wasn't transcoded previously in chromecast).

ITSecLyst
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ITSecLyst » 13 May 2019 18:33

I tested the firewall theory because I was having the same issue on Mac to Chromecast. Turned the firewall completely off and the video started immediately.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”