Dvd's stop playing in the middle of a movie

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
leootje93
New Cone
New Cone

Dvd's stop playing in the middle of a movie

Postby leootje93 » 12 Oct 2018 20:38

Hi guys,

Recently started using vcl (because windows 10 didn't come with mediaplayer)
Everything worked great until I got an update. I'm on 3.0.4 now. And since that moment Dvd's will play, main menu will come up and I get to watch it sound and image is all good, but out of the blue vlc just shuts down.
Or to be more clear; the Dvd stops playing (litteraly hear the disk stop turning) and Vlc main screen comes back on.
I can then proceed to open it again, start it up again like nothing's wrong but after a few minutes the same will happen.

Does anyone have any advice? Also small note; I'm dutch and please treat me like a laptop dummy because I really am... Thanks!

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Dvd's stop playing in the middle of a movie

Postby Hitchhiker » 12 Oct 2018 22:31

Well, I've got a dedicated DVD player connected to my TV so I would never normally use vlc to playback DVDs on my laptop, but tonight I did in order to determine whether or not the movie would stop playing in the middle of the disc like you say it does on your machine. But it played right through to the end without any problem.

Try resetting preferences via Tools ---> Preferences ---> Reset Preferences at the bottom of the menu. If that doesn't work, try rebooting the PC which sometimes fixes these kind of problems.

leootje93
New Cone
New Cone

Postby leootje93 » 13 Oct 2018 21:43

Thanm you for responding and talking to me in baby pc language :lol:
I tried those things (rebooting is re starting the laptop??) And the settings but it doesn't help.

Now I noticed something els; when I pauze it a few times during playing an epsiode it doesn't happen!
And just now I didn't pauzed for like atleast 10 minutes and it did happen again.
Maybe grazy but it feels like my laptop is just shutting down or something? Like the dvd/cd player just goes into sleeping mode?
I did change some stuff in those settings a while ago. Could the sleeptimer and time's I've set for the screen to stay light and active have something to do with this or is there just probebly something wrong with the whole laptop which has nothing to do with the dvd's nor Vlc?

Anyhow; want to say big thankyou!! Very kind of you to try all that just to be able to awnser my question Hitchhiker.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 14 Oct 2018 18:23

Try shutting down the computer. Hit Windows key + X to open the power menu and then click Shutdown or Sign out ---> Shutdown.

Wait a couple of minutes and then restart it again. Shutting down clears the computer's memory and wipes any data held there which might be causing the problem.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 14 Oct 2018 20:13

Hi, could you provide logs when it closes ? It must be an error somewhere which VLC considers fatal for the playback.
To help you, we need messages, to completely understand what your problems is.
To fix this, please be sure before you start the playback to:
  1. Open: Tools -> Messages.
  2. Set Verbosity to 2
  3. Start playback to reproduce your issue
  4. Save text in a file or copy into clipboard
  5. Then paste the full resulting log here between [​code]and[​/code] (or use Pastebin.com if it's too long)
Also don't forget to name your Operating System and provide the VLC media player version.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”