Set volume to maximum of 100%

macOS specific usage questions
robbin
New Cone
New Cone

Set volume to maximum of 100%

Postby robbin » 21 Jun 2018 22:34

Hello,

Is it possible to set the volume to a maximum of 100% ?

From time to time I accidentally wipe my finger over my Magic Mouse and I scroll volume up really fast. 125% can me quite loud..

Qboy61
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Set volume to maximum of 100%

Postby Qboy61 » 04 Jul 2018 14:04

I think this is what you're looking for:

Select VLC > Preferences... and in the lower left corner select "Show All". Now in the "tree" on the left side go down to "Interface" and expand that, and then expand "Main interfaces" and select "macosx". Try setting "Maximum Volume displayed" to 100.

I always set VLC > Preferences... and in the "Audio" tab (at the top) I set Always reset audio start level to 100%. I try to keep VLC volume at 100% most of the time and use the Mac's main volume for level control.

Hope this solves your problem. :-)

Hivehand
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Hivehand » 20 Jun 2019 02:48

I don't know if this solved the original poster's problem, but it very definitely solved mine. Thanks!

Mohammed Azizullah
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mohammed Azizullah » 22 Aug 2019 09:42

Tools
Preferences
HotKeys
Mouse Wheels Vertical Axis Control
Ignore

xii2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xii2 » 01 Oct 2023 10:27

Tools
Preferences
HotKeys
Mouse Wheels Vertical Axis Control
Ignore
Thank you, this was just as, if not more, important to me, because the vast majority of accidental changes for me come from the mouse-wheel scroll.

What I'd really like is the ability to limit the max volume that can be set. I have no idea what a volume level over 100% means in this context¹, but my best guess, based on past experience, would be some kind of artificial gain that reduces effective dynamic range and reduces audio quality. Personally, I don't want the ability to control volume within the app that is separate from output volume (and I output to a receiver, so I don't want to output anything other than 100% volume, if I'm sending unencoded output, and shouldn't be controlling volume at all if I'm outputting the original encoded signal).

────────────────────
1 Maybe its meaning here is coherent and not destructive to quality, but I haven't seen it in any playback software focused on output quality.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”