Problem playing a DVD

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Markorollo
New Cone
New Cone

Problem playing a DVD

Postby Markorollo » 10 Apr 2017 15:14

HI

Ive recently noticed that when playing DVD's on VLC 2.2.4 (on windows 10) it skips frames. it pauses for a second, skips frames, and starts again in a different part of whatever im watching a few seconds on. and sometimes i get audio but the picture is stuck/paused.

just bought the star wars rogue one dvd and trying to watch it is almost impossible due to this.

I didnt notice it when i first started using VLC a few weeks ago, just in the past couple of weeks.

Any help would be appreciated, Oh, and also, please suggest solutions in basic English Laymans terms, im not a very tech minded person lol.

Markorollo
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Problem playing a DVD

Postby Markorollo » 10 Apr 2017 15:48

Just an addition to the above, i noticed that drop late frames and skip frames were both selected in the video menu so unselected them thinking that might be the problem, but its still doing it.

Markorollo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Markorollo » 10 Apr 2017 18:58

another edit to the above

i increased the caching settings on the input/codecs option to 1000, no difference.

And i tried the DVD on my DVD Recorder and it played fine, so its not the disc, and i also played another DVD on my laptop through VLC for 30 minutes which worked fine, so i dont understand whats going on, Any answers/help would be good, anyone from the makers of the software on here?
Last edited by Markorollo on 11 Apr 2017 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Markorollo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Markorollo » 11 Apr 2017 13:30

so no help here then, 30 views and nothing?......

Markorollo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Markorollo » 11 Apr 2017 22:12

well, you would think if you created something you would help users of it fix problems, guess that doesnt happen in Videolan world.

I also emailed them, and again, nothing, no reply.

bad customer service.

Markorollo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Markorollo » 12 Apr 2017 21:02

COME ON, SOMEONE MUST KNOW, IVE TRIED EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF.

dirtchild
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dirtchild » 12 Apr 2017 21:59

I just got Rogue one on DVD and am having the exact same issues. Created an Iso and tried that; same issues.

VLC and Nvidia drivers are up to date

Markorollo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Markorollo » 13 Apr 2017 00:01

wow a reply lol.

is it just rogue one on yours or others too? i think other dvd's are doing it on mine.

i just downloaded another player and again rogue one works fine. so it is definitely a VLC problem (not that they seem bothered) problem is its only a 30 day trial of the player, and nearly £200 to buy after that, wont be doing that!! so back to square one again unless i get this VLC thing sorted.

dirtchild
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dirtchild » 13 Apr 2017 09:20

not tested with other DVD's. Some good info here on general DVD choppiness:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/show ... D-playback

I'm going to try the NVIDIA player. Looks like it could be codec related.

Disgruntled user 84
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Disgruntled user 84 » 21 Apr 2017 07:19

Registered an account just to post this.

Sorry not meaning to hijack but i have seen soooo many people with the same problem and no solution available.

Been having the same issue with vlc for a very long time.
I have always had high end systems and this is the only thing that lets my rig down as a whole. Embarrassing also on movie nights.

Rouge one skips at the same points up all throughout the movie. Changed all the settings as described like the OP did I'm sure to no avail.

It may be a free program but i happily purchased another competing companies software just to stop this from happening to me again in the future.

And i know it is not the disk as it works on other players and i also went to the length of borrowing a friends dvd of the same movie to test it. Same problem, same spots.

There is no solution at this point that i can find, only faulty programming, that honestly I have seen no actual effort to solve in the last year or so.

My fix; install something else.

AMD FX8350
32G ram
8G 1080 GTX

EliMinogue
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 215

Postby EliMinogue » 25 Apr 2017 09:48

I've also tried to increase the caching settings on the input, didn't help. GTX950, if it matters.

dirtchild
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dirtchild » 25 Apr 2017 09:52

I finally caved and used an external player (don't remember which sorry - it's an opensource media centre thing). Seems VLC uses its own internal codecs which are causing the issues. anything that uses system level codecs is fine.

abc2017
New Cone
New Cone

Postby abc2017 » 25 Apr 2017 22:33

Having the exact same issue with Rogue One. Exchanged the DVD twice and then bought a second copy from a different region and all 4 copies skip in the exact same place on both VideoLan and 5kPlayer.

Has anyone found an alternative DVD software that it works on?

dirtchild
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dirtchild » 26 Apr 2017 13:43

Has anyone found an alternative DVD software that it works on?
Google is your friend ;) but this one worked for me: https://www.team-mediaportal.com/

invidinvasion
New Cone
New Cone

Postby invidinvasion » 30 May 2017 23:20

Same issues here with Rogue One. All my drivers are up to date. Even the Disney Download is doing it in iTunes, which is also up to date. Maybe that bit of info will help us.

bigfoot77210
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bigfoot77210 » 24 Jan 2019 21:24

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue playing CARS 3, but I'm running linux. Tried several computers, same result.

I think that there is some kind of protection inside these DVD that prevent VLC to read it. Moreover I had the same issue with other GNU multimedia players like Kaffeine. To my opinion, this is related to libdvdcss2 as all DVD without encryption are played correctly.

By the way, I just found that this issue has already been reported here:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85150

bendipa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bendipa » 10 Jul 2019 18:35

I've only recently noticed this issue myself when trying to play a DVD, which I don't do all that often. It skipped the end of a scene by about 2 seconds then froze momentarily on starting the next scene. This happened at two different scene junctures on the DVD, and always the same two. Otherwise VLC played without further issues. Tried various cache adjustments and a few other things, but it made no difference.

But when I tried the DVD on 2 other players, those issues did not occur. This leads me to believe the problem is VLC and not the DVD. Having now seen that this issue has existed for years with VLC it doesn't look like the developers have any intention of fixing this, so I suggest use another player when viewing DVDs. SMplayer works well for me and has a nice interface.

https://www.smplayer.info/en/downloads

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”