Cannot play anything but Episode 1

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Oliwally
New Cone
New Cone

Cannot play anything but Episode 1

Postby Oliwally » 07 Jan 2017 07:23

Hi,

I'm using VLC 2.2.4 on Win 10 to play a DVD I bought in a shop. Menu comes up, Episode 1 will play as expected, but no matter what I do, VLC will not play other episodes on this DVD. Even when I go to the menu and choose another episode, the one that plays is always Episode 1. I've tried play the next chapter button, but with same result.

The DVD behaves correctly on the DVD player connected to our TV, but on the PC it just won't go. I have even tried my daughters computer (also Win 10 and VLC 2.2.4) but with exactly the same result - only the first episode will play no matter what I choose from the menu items or what other player buttons I click.

We have even installed a different DVD player on the computer and have had the same annoying result.

Any suggestions? Is it the DVD? Is there any VLC magic that I can use to get around this?

Thanks a lot,

Oli

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Re: Cannot play anything but Episode 1

Postby mederi » 07 Jan 2017 13:55

Try to open DVD with "No disc menus" option, try to set Title/Chapter in "Open media" dialog or try to play vob files on DVD.

Oliwally
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Oliwally » 10 Jan 2017 13:31

Thanks for chipping in with ideas. I tried some of them and have had some luck going for the 'no disc menu' option.
Setting Title/Chapter didn't work for me - still just get episode one.
Playing vob files works a little bit - the image is not clean - lagging, pixellated and the sound is not synced.

Some moderate success by going to 'playback' then 'title' and picking some random number there, but I have no idea which number is which episode.

So, long story short, I still have not real solution.

Throwdo_Baggins
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Throwdo_Baggins » 12 Jan 2017 13:14

Hey Oliwally,

I'm having the exact same troubles. I got Legend of Korra complete series for Christmas, and I'm only today starting to watch it. But so far I can only get the first episode, then it takes me back to the DVD menu. I've been searching now for nearly two hours online, trying various fixes, but nothing has helped. I'm hoping someone can help with this problem, so I've added my voice to the list. If someone does find a solution here, I'm looking forward to it.

Throwdo

Oliwally
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Oliwally » 14 Jan 2017 01:19

Hi Throwdo,

Yes, that's exactly the same DVD I'm trying to watch! - Legend of Korra. Got the box set for Christmas but can only watch on a standard DVD player, not on computer using VLC.
Very interesting.

Thanks for confirming my troubles. Something fishy going on with the config of those DVDs. But at least we can watch 'em somehow, if not in privacy :wink:

Oli

Gatacus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Gatacus » 19 Sep 2017 02:11

Hey Oliwally and Throwdo,

Have you guys found a fix for this issue as im having the same issue with 'The Legend of Korra' as well.

InTheWings
Developer
Developer
VLC version: crashing
Operating System: Linux

Postby InTheWings » 21 Sep 2017 19:46

There's some dvd mastering techniques to annoy video players...
Here that's likely a dvdnav/dvdread issue.

That could be interesting to get an iso dump.
:!: If you want your problem to be solved :
* First read troubleshooting guide VSG:Main
* Always provide verbose LOGS ! (command line or from gui)
* Always check your issue against a developer build from Nightly Build of VLC
* Tell us when your problem is solved !

lolSpassky
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lolSpassky » 06 Feb 2018 22:49

Hello guys,
The Korra DVDs caused the same problem with my computer but I might have found a solution that will help you out as well as it helped me.

Since I am German I can't promise that the commands I propose exactly translate into your Englisch version:

- Click on the but in the top left which should be something like media or whatever xd
- Click on "open several files" something like this
- Then switch to the second section which should be like "media"
- Now change the "start position" to 3
- Play

You will then find the menu that would occur when you put it into the DVD player.

In all honesty this did not work 10/10 times but I may have been a little too impacient in order to let it start.

I hope this helped ^^

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Feb 2018 19:40

Please try VLC 3.0.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

PlayingWithFyre
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PlayingWithFyre » 26 Nov 2019 06:44

Sorry for the necro, But i have the exact same issue, also with the Legend of Korra DVD - Am using latest version of VLC and everything. Is there any established fix short of playing roulette with the 90+ titles trying to find the episode i wanted?

DrigoMagistriArmA
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DrigoMagistriArmA » 05 Feb 2020 23:52

Hello everyone! I'm new to this platform but I also stumbled upon by the same problem, even though I can see by the dates I am extremely late, I still bring in good news for anyone who wants to see the same series Legend of Korra!

Basically, all you will have to do is firstly use the program "VLC Media Player", from there follow these actions:
1) Go to the "Media" tab, in the upper left corner of the program and select the option "Open Disc..."
2) From there you will see various options, the only thing you need to be sure is that the DVD is correctly working, if it does, you should being able to clearly see the name of it.
3) If you check the tab, you will notice a section which is put under the name of "Starting Position", right there set the value of "Title" to 3.
4) Hit play and if you see a series of options stating to put in the language to display on the screen, then it must be working just fine (Or at least I do hope so for you)!

Side notes: Personally, as a matter of precaution if anything, I have the mania that whenever I try to change the episode I set the new "Title" value to a +1 from before, with this I mean that if for example I was before watching on Title 3 when I wanted to watch the next episode I put Title to 4 and so on, I don't exactly know since I didn't want to test it for now if it is really required to do this job every time, but for now it has been working just fine so far, so if by case you get stuck instead on the second episode, you know the trick.

Also, props for the user "lolSpassky", I didn't at first understand what he meant due to translation issues from his side, but I finally understood the rest from my own and without the advise of "Now change the "start position" to 3" I would have probably bashed my head even more times against this problem for sure! So if anyone found this to be useful go also to thank this guy for helping all of us!

Have a good watch!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”