H.264 encoding - veryfast preset produces smaller file than faster preset

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
mimac
New Cone
New Cone

H.264 encoding - veryfast preset produces smaller file than faster preset

Postby mimac » 21 Sep 2016 19:50

Hi,

few days ago I found weird behavior with FFMpeg. While encoding into h264, if you use constant quality setting and veryfast preset, it takes less time and produces smaller file than with faster preset. I filled a bug (https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5854), but I didn't realize it was problem of libx264, not FFMpeg, so it got closed.

I have since tested it on VLC with very similar results:

Code: Select all

vlc.exe --no-repeat --no-loop -I dummy newmobcal1920_12mbps.ts --sout=#transcode{vcodec=x264,venc=x264{preset=faster,crf=23}}:standard{access=file,mux=mkv,dst="result-faster.mkv"} vlc://quit vlc.exe --no-repeat --no-loop -I dummy newmobcal1920_12mbps.ts --sout=#transcode{vcodec=x264,venc=x264{preset=veryfast,crf=23}}:standard{access=file,mux=mkv,dst="result-veryfast.mkv"} vlc://quit
result-faster.mkv has 90.4 MB
result-veryfast.mkv has 76.5 MB

I consider the results very counter-intuitive and I think many people would automatically use preset which takes longer (e. g. faster preset) and expected smaller file size with same quality in return. In reality, they would just waster their CPU time, because the result file is bigger.

Do you think it is worth filling a bug? If yes, where can I post bug for libx264?

Best Regards
Milan

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: H.264 encoding - veryfast preset produces smaller file than faster preset

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Sep 2016 10:35

This can happen, this is normal. It depends on the input.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

mimac
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mimac » 23 Sep 2016 20:35

I have tried inputs in H.264, MJPEG and MPEG-2 (each completely different video) and with each one there was this problem, so I find it pretty suspicious.
Do you know about video with which faster preset outputs smaller file size than veryfast preset?

DKFiber
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DKFiber » 24 Sep 2016 05:31

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for a 8K-SDI video test signal generator that outputs SDI and HDMI. It should have all the typical 'old' standard multi color bars, cross hatch SMPTE 259M,SMPTE 292M/SMPTE 424/425M and timer etc.
I have QuestTel 3G-SDI Pattern Generator that can handle HDTV NTSC or PAL and 16:9 formats to 720p and 1080p.
While I have been able to find a myriad of stand alone units, which is fine I am looking for recommendations, or stay away from's.
I also would be interested in a USB option if available for true portability (something I can throw in my laptop case).
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks all.
Dan

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”