Vlc stopped working

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
maimon
New Cone
New Cone

Vlc stopped working

Postby maimon » 12 Aug 2005 00:02

Vlc stopped working and issue a windows error message:
"VLC media player has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Uninstall & reinstall didn't help.

I have saved the error report prepared by windows - how do I send it to you?

regards,
Naftali Maimon
maimon@actcom.co.il

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 12 Aug 2005 00:57

that report is supposed to be sent to micrlesoft..

try opening vlc with the shortcut from the Start -> All Programs -> VideoLAN menu that says "Reset VLC defaults and quit" and see if that fixes the issue.

Or alternatively the equivalent command prompt command is:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --reset-config --reset-plugins-cache --save-config vlc:quit

maimon
New Cone
New Cone

It works again

Postby maimon » 12 Aug 2005 09:02

zcot,
It works again.
Thanks!!
Maimon
Naftali Maimon
maimon@actcom.co.il

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 12 Aug 2005 09:38

sure, no problem.. :D you are very welcome.

I think sometimes the plugin-cache could get corrupt or something(or even the main settings file).. there's a crazy virtual directory or something in that area during runtime and it would depend on the condition of shutdown(perhaps if vlc had an error condition) as to the integretity of that file being usable the next time you try to run vlc..

infinitelink
New Cone
New Cone

Causing this is...

Postby infinitelink » 12 Aug 2005 09:49

The developers will have to deal with this, but here is all the information they'll need, that (ahem) no one provided:

Also, I believe this is resulting when someone is trying to startup VLC with a default interface/skin other than wxWidgets and that maybe the method described below isn't the right way to do this (but I don't know, I'm checking now).

I figured out what it is when this happened to me.

When you go to preferences and set skins2 as the interface that is opened by default when you open vlc or select a media file which then invokes vlc to play it, the player has an error and crashes.

It is preferences-->interface-->general--> [checked box] general interface (which then inserts "skins2" into the text box below) that causes this error, for some reason. The skin for this then appears to be the apple-style skin. I do know that when you select this it says it's "launched in the background" but I don't know exactly what it means by that.) Anyways, that's the bug, or maybe people are just reading it wrong. Thanks for posting the solution at viewtopic.php?t=11422&highlight=startup+error as a temporary fix; (it's what helped me). : )

[info needed: Win XP pro (newly installed-again!!!, sigh), intel pentium 4 extreme edition, radion 9700, don't remember the sound card name but it's a good one, VLC version 8.2, crashed when starting the player in the above circumstance, I CAN always reproduce the crash-I checked if I could, was just opening music, or just starting the player.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”