VLC 2.1.0 does not see UPnP devices

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ontheair81
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 2.1.0 does not see UPnP devices

Postby ontheair81 » 23 Mar 2015 11:33

Same here. Using VLC player 2.2.0 on Windows7, 64bit, Core i5, 8GB RAM. VLC does not show my DLNA server (minidlna daemon on Debian). All other network devices connect to the DLNA server without any problem, just VLC can not see the server.

So after long years with VLC I had to switch back to this weird Windows Media Player :-( But the Windows Media Player at least sees the DLNA server and can play from it.
I really would be happy if this problems in VLC could be fixed or if somebody has a workaround to get things working again in VLC.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Mar 2015 20:05

We're reworking that for 3.0.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ontheair81
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ontheair81 » 24 Mar 2015 20:58

Jean-Baptiste Kempf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:05 pm
Great! Thank you!

guitoun
New Cone
New Cone

Postby guitoun » 25 Mar 2015 15:07

Hi all,

UPNP not working on http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 0325-0002/ (same on the 64bit version) on win7 64.
Even when using the direcl link URI (ex: upnp://......) on network location, this is not working, is it the same issue or are they 2 differents issue ?
Do i need to use the 64 bit version of vlc if my OS is 64bit or the 32 bit version is supposed to be fully fonctional on win7 64?
Do i need to reboot my machine, after unintalling an old version(V2.x) and installing a new one(nighliesV3), for the new one to be fonctional? As the installer/uninstaller never ask to reboot i assume the answer is no?
As the nighlies is 3.0.0, is the first realease of VLC 3 will be 3.0.0 or the version number wil change to 3.0.x ?
After 18 month without UPNP could we get some reliable infomation (date, version of VLC) about the resolution of this 18 month long bug?
There is no crash anymore but still no upnp at all.

Thanks for your support Jean-Baptiste, and sorry if my english is not perfect.
Guillaume

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 25 Mar 2015 15:17

He wrote that they "[are] reworking that for 3.0.0", not that they have reworked that for 3.0.0.

It will be done when it will be done. If you want it faster, then your help is most welcome.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

guitoun
New Cone
New Cone

Postby guitoun » 25 Mar 2015 17:49

Thank you to answer none of my question...
I mention that the nighlies is 3.0.0 and upnp is still not working ...
That why i ask if there will be different version of 3.0.0 or not? (build version ect ect).
As it (without any reliable information) the 3.0.0 (no mention nightlies or not) is not upnp capable at all, so i pointed out that that nothing as been reworked for the 3.0.0
And i am not a developer so my help won't be usefull to VLC, i am just a user that do not understand why developers (like you it seems) remove (or destroy) the upnp from VLC since 18 month.
But it seems you need testers, and for this i can help (that why i try the nighlies) but without reliable information it is just a waste of time.
No upnp at all on 3.0.0 (i test it) even your are not agree with this statement!
If someone else have answers to my previous question (reboot for install or not, 32 bit on 64 bit systems or not, build number different for nightly and release or not) thanks!

ontheair81
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ontheair81 » 25 Mar 2015 18:31

Thank you to answer none of my question..
He already answered your question:
It will be done when it will be done.
Which means, there is no fixed date yet.

Guitoun, I can understand your anger about the destroyed functionality. I would be more happy too, if I could switch back to my loved VLC player ;-) Anyway, the developers here are working hard without beeing paid (as far as I know)for their hard work. And users get a great software free of charge.
So, like in every free or open-source-software, constructive feedback surely will be helpful. But in my opinion its not a good idea, to set developers with their voluntary service under pressure that much.

To insist on exact dates and functionalities could be done for paid services and propietary software, if you are their customer and signed a contract with them. And these commercial guys are doing it worse: Windows Media Player is not even capable of playing back simple .flac files, for example - since 14 years!

@Developers: Thumbs up for your great work!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Mar 2015 19:25

UPNP not working on http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 0325-0002/ (same on the 64bit version) on win7 64.
We merged some code about that today in VLC. Let's hope it improves a lot, your usecase.

It works here on Linux :)
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

guitoun
New Cone
New Cone

Postby guitoun » 26 Mar 2015 02:29

I see no improve on today (26) windows 32 bit version too .(but should need to be tested on another machine)

Let's hope someone will find the issue, i will go on trying new nighlies (and cross finger)
Maybe the developer are not paid but the one who will repair this should be!
Do you have user feedback on windows 8.1 for this specific issue? (linux is not a solution for me but windows 8.1 could be )
Plz do not release the V3 without fixing this definitly (as you did for 2.1 and 2.2).
VLC is a great program and I need this fonctionality so much.
Thanks for your work.

aitte
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby aitte » 02 May 2015 09:04

Hello,

I just set up a DLNA server (rPI + OpenMediaVault + MiniDLNA) but on my win 8.1 laptop, using VLC 2.2.1, it never appears under Playlist > Discover UniversalPnP. Using Windows Media Player, I can find the server and play supported videos (only... :'( )

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 May 2015 15:00

Hello,

I just set up a DLNA server (rPI + OpenMediaVault + MiniDLNA) but on my win 8.1 laptop, using VLC 2.2.1, it never appears under Playlist > Discover UniversalPnP. Using Windows Media Player, I can find the server and play supported videos (only... :'( )
Try a Nightly Build of VLC
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

helmar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby helmar » 22 Apr 2016 14:53

Hi I've tried it with the 3.0.0 nightly (04/05/2016).

With this version UPNP/DLNA Servers are found in my network, streaming worked well.
With current version 2.2.2 no UPNP/DLNA Servers are found

Regards

Helmar

upnpfrik
New Cone
New Cone

Postby upnpfrik » 22 Apr 2016 15:30

Also here in VLC 2.2.2. it does not list upnp devices, in Windows XP, the WMP normaly does.

pcmb8866
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pcmb8866 » 10 May 2016 16:15

I am using VLC 2.2.3 and Windows 10. I figured out what the problem was in my system not seeing the files with UPNP.
I have also installed VMWARE player and found that disabling the VMWARE network adapters solved the problem.
Now I can play all the movies and music files on my NAS (DLNA) with VLC 2.2.3.
When I want to use VMWARE I have to enable the adapters again. I don't know if this is due to VLC or VMWARE, but it works for me!
Perhaps it will work for you too.

BeefJerky
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BeefJerky » 16 Jul 2016 22:48

Hi!
I have also installed VMWARE player and found that disabling the VMWARE network adapters solved the problem.
I can confirm this. Using VLC 2.2.3 only after disabling the VMWARE network adapters all DLNA severs become listed in the playlist!

Thanks for sharing!
Beef

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Jul 2016 14:40

I believe we fixed that for 3.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

cegnm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cegnm » 28 Aug 2016 19:40

On my 32 Bit XP still doesnt work after loading the recent 3.0.0 of Aug. 28.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Aug 2016 11:21

On my 32 Bit XP still doesnt work after loading the recent 3.0.0 of Aug. 28.
What happens?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

cegnm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cegnm » 29 Aug 2016 13:14

The UPnP list is empty. But maybe I have not enough basic understanding, eventually VLC should be put in a condition to show the list.

To be honest I actually dont know what I am expecting from this list. What I actually want is that my DLNA clients (Smart TV, internet radio) can "see" VLC as a server and recieve its media streams just like from my FritzBox Mediaserver and WMP.

Or in short: How to play mp4 from computer to my Smart TV , ie. mp3 to the internet radio by means of VLC?

Is this possible with VLC?

mooz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mooz » 06 Sep 2016 07:43

I can confirm from doing a network capture on the nightly build from the Ubuntu VLC repository (3.0.0-git Vetinari buildd@lgw01-23.buildd Aug 14 2016 08:02:33) that VLC is not sending a M-SEARCH SSDP discover message. The only thing I can see it sending is a IGMPv2 Membership Report Group to various different multicast addresses, however it only seems to be doing this when I click on the "Network streams (SAP)" local network location from the interface, this should I believe be sent for UPnP as well since (I think) it's the only way a client will join the multicast group which is required for UPnP, none the less after joining the multicast group by clicking the mentioned (SAP) location, the application is still not sending a discover message to any multicast groups. I'm not familiar enough with the VLC code to take a look but this is definitely what is causing the issue.

I tested the same scenario on my Android 6 device using the latest version that's available in the play store and it worked fine, so not sure what the issue could be on the PC. Below is a UDP stream of the M-SEARCH that the Android sent over my network.

Code: Select all

M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1 HOST: 239.255.255.250:1900 MAN: "ssdp:discover" MX: 5 ST: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1

mmortal03
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mmortal03 » 06 Oct 2016 10:30

I am using VLC 2.2.3 and Windows 10. I figured out what the problem was in my system not seeing the files with UPNP.
When I want to use VMWARE I have to enable the adapters again. I don't know if this is due to VLC or VMWARE, but it works for me!
Perhaps it will work for you too.
VirtualBox's virtual network adapters also seems to cause this. After disabling these, the DLNA movies show up.

AddRemover
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AddRemover » 10 Nov 2016 08:20

Confirmed bug with virtual network devices.
Recently upgraded my win machine from 8.1 to 10 and my latest stable VLC release stop showing uPnP devs (two in the network).
Tried older releases - no luck.
However, disabling "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter" solved the issue for latest stable 2.2.4 32bit
vlc-3.0.0-20161110-0258-git-win32.7z works same - won't show any DLNA device untill disabling Cisco VPN adapter in device manager.

Bendman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bendman » 19 Mar 2017 13:56

Hi,

I tried the nightly build 64bit (20170317) on Win 10 and Linux Mint. On both systems the same reaction as originally reported in this thread. Checked with version 2.06 on two different Android systems. On that UPnP works as expected. The DNLA Server is a Fritzbox router.

Bendman

gradziu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gradziu » 14 Mar 2018 19:28

I had the same problem in VLC 2.x.x family (2.0.8, 2.2.6) however after disabling network interfaces related to VMWare Player uPNP devices shown again in the list of uPNP devices, and what is important to me there is NO LIMIT for number of streams.
I also tried VLC 3.0.1.0 and in this ver is free from original problem (no uPNP devices) however I've observed that 20 STREAMS are shown ONLY per uPNP device.
Is it hard coded in VLC starting from 3.x.x.x? (the same behavior observed in nighty ver 4.0.0)
Asking as I was not able to find limitation to 20 streams in preferences.

vlad.su
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 3 & 4 do not see UPnP devices

Postby vlad.su » 30 Aug 2020 18:40

I experience same problem on 3.0.8, 3.0.11, and nightly 4.0.0 at 20200830-0433.

Windows media player is able to find a NAS, while VLC is not. Disabling all network adapters except for a real Wi-Fi connection gives no improvements.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”