Unsupported signal when playing bluray

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
neonp
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.0
Operating System: Raspbian/jessie

Unsupported signal when playing bluray

Postby neonp » 10 Aug 2013 10:11

Hi all,

I have an issue. I am trying to play blurays with VLC. I have a software (I don't know if I can name it in the forum), which decrypts blurays, so I have no issue with aacs or any encryption that can be on blurays. My issue is one step further : I play the bluray, and I have the feeling that VLC changes my screen resolution. Unfortunately, I am playing the bluray on my TV which is only HD Ready (no support of 1080p). The sound seems to work well, but not the picture since my TV claims "Signal non supporté" aka unsupported signal. I have tried to switch to OpenGL as rendering engine. It worked for some blurays like "The dark knight rises" or "How to train your dragon", but not for "James Cameron's Avatar".

Any idea ?

Thanks,
Nicolas

JSLover
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Win7

Re: Unsupported signal when playing Blu-Ray

Postby JSLover » 10 Aug 2013 15:19

I need more info to even start guessing (or maybe I don't, I did a lot of guessing below!)...

How are you instructing VLC to play on the TV?

Can you see the Desktop on the TV before VLC is playing?

I believe you need to adjust the Video Card settings for the TV...you are using dual monitors, right? A computer monitor is primary & the TV is 2ndary?

I have never experienced VLC "changing my monitor's resolution"...but my computer is pretty old. VLC just "goes fullscreen" with the Desktop's resolution. Games DO change the resolution, but I've never had that with VLC.

So could you please explain, step-by-step, what you have done so far?...what your set-up is like?...specifically, HOW your TV is connected to the computer (HDMI?). Also, you mention Blu-Ray, does VLC play normally when it's not trying to do Blu-Ray?
It worked for some blurays like "The dark knight rises" or "How to train your dragon", but not for "James Cameron's Avatar".
...that really weird...so it does work?, but not for "some Blu-Rays"...the only thing I can say is perhaps the software which decrypts Blu-Rays isn't doing as good of a job as it thinks it is & is producing a corrupted rip?

OK try this...
  1. Start VLC
  2. Click Tools -> Messages
  3. Set "Verbosity" to 1 or 2 (2 is more info, but possibly "too much info")
  4. Play "The dark knight rises" for a few seconds.
  5. Copy & Paste the log msgs to Notepad (or click "Save as..." & save it to a file).
  6. Click "Clear"
  7. Play "James Cameron's Avatar" for a few seconds.
  8. Save that log too.
  9. Post (or link to) both logs here
...then, perhaps repeat those steps, but this time playing on a normal computer monitor.

Perhaps, somehow, the HDCP signal got thru the decryption process & is forcing the HDCP-capable TV to reject it?

Perhaps this is an NTSC vs PAL issue? (but, again, I'd think the decryption process would eliminate that being a problem?)

Just a couple more things: What format is the decrypted Blu-Ray in? (ISO? or whatever a "Blu-Ray disc image" would be called) Can you play all Blu-Rays on a normal computer monitor? One thing you should be able to do (but perhaps not the best solution), would be to transcode the "Blu-Ray disc image" (if it's still in "disc image" format) into an mkv or other normal file format...assuming you can play all "normal files" on this TV.
"why the f*** do i need a google+ account to comment on a video?" — jawed (2013) (about YouTube's new requirement of Google+)

youtube.lua — Play YouTube videos in VLC!
Updated: Thu, Jan 15, 2015 --- 1/15/15, 7:19:19pm EST

forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=111977&p=379147#p379147
Sigh, the above can't be a link: "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [url]."...so, I can't even link back to a post on this forum?
How about this: can long-term/trusted users be allowed links in sigs?

neonp
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.0
Operating System: Raspbian/jessie

Re: Unsupported signal when playing bluray

Postby neonp » 12 Aug 2013 19:35

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

So here are my answers.

My computer is an HTPC, so I directly connected it to the TV through HDMI. No other display monitor.

I usually play my videos with VLC with no issue (either local files or DVD)

I have only PAL DVD & blurays, so no issue with NTSC.

I think you're right about HDCP. I am going to test verbosity, this weekend in the worse case, and post the logs back.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Unsupported signal when playing bluray

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Aug 2013 11:00

To help you, we need messages, to completely understand what your problems is.
To fix this, please be sure before you start the playback to:
  1. Open: Tools -> Messages.
  2. Set Verbosity to 2
  3. Start playback to reproduce your issue
  4. Save text in a file or copy into clipboard
  5. Then paste the full resulting log here between [​code]and[​/code] (or use Pastebin.com if it's too long)
Also don't forget to name your Operating System and provide the VLC media player version.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”