Why does video overlay not work properly?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
icedfusion

Why does video overlay not work properly?

Postby icedfusion » 31 Jul 2005 20:09

I currently have my display settings so that when video is played on screen 1,then I should get video played full screen on screen2 due to video overlay being setup this way. This works with windows media player (which i hate using) and even Winamp!!

I have always used vlc and I have never been able to get this the video overly to work properly, disabling this feature just means i can view the video on screen 2 but not at the correct resolution - does anyone have any ideas why?

thanks

ice.

Postby Guest » 07 Aug 2005 01:08

is there no one who uses vlc to use video overlay as it is supposed to work?

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
ice.

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 07 Aug 2005 05:06

I do.. and it works nicely.

Are you using the vlc support for the second monitor?

Postby Guest » 07 Aug 2005 22:00

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean by 'vlc support for the second monitor'.

I have setup my graphics card to have a t.v as the second monitor. I then have set the preference for video overlay to play on the second monitor - is this what you mean?

The settings I have work with winamp and windows media player, but I like vlc and really want to get this video overlay working properly.

Thanks for the reply zcot.

ice.

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 08 Aug 2005 20:59

there may be some misunderstanding here.

the graphics concept known as overlay, graphic cards either support it or do not with hardware on the card.

also the overlay concept can be implemented on a system via local software solution.

for vlc, it will call to use the card hardware or not based on your settings.

So, for one, I think this is a different issue than what it seems. And, number two, you are using some kind of external support feature of the operating system / video card that is beyond vlc. I'm just trying to clarify here..

To find a solution, I think a quick test would be to UNCHECK the setting in vlc that says "overlay video output":
[settings] - [preferences] - click "advanced options" on lower right - [video] -> "overlay video output".. -then pick [Save]..

does it act as you would want it to in this case? If so, then you can go to finding the advanced solution..

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”