HTTP (youtube link) timeout when pausing for some time

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
sezaru
New Cone
New Cone

HTTP (youtube link) timeout when pausing for some time

Postby sezaru » 04 Feb 2013 01:45

I've tried watching youtube videos with vlc, It works great almost all the time, but when I'm watching a video and pauses it, vlc will stop downloading the video (when it fills the cache), if I let the player paused for a long time like 30 minutes (It can be less, but it's harder to reproduce), when I resume it, it will not restart downloading the video and vlc will act as the video has ended.

From the behavior described above, I'm guessing the youtube server timeout the connection, so, why vlc does not reopen it again?

Steps to reproduce:
* Get the video url from some youtube video (I use quvi for this)
* Open it with vlc
* Pause the video
* Wait 30 minutes (or less, I don't know the exact time to it timeout)
* Play video again

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: HTTP (youtube link) timeout when pausing for some time

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 04 Feb 2013 17:28

VLC does not reopen it because that is not implemented (and to add pain to injury, the HTTP input source code has become a huge mess over the years).
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

sezaru
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sezaru » 04 Feb 2013 19:01

Is there any intention to implement it in some future version of VLC? If not, can you tell me where in the code I have to study to try implement it myself or some documentation of it?

PS: I've read about timeshift support for VLC, which should be a workaround to my problem as I could simply make it download all the video to HD when pausing. But I couldn't found the options in my VLC build, so I'm not sure if there is timeshift support in the 2.x versions of VLC or I just didn't enable it when compiling.

Thanks!

Ace Cooper
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ace Cooper » 15 Feb 2014 03:31

I want to join my voice in support of this issue.

When watching a playlist from Youtube if I pause the stream to make some tea - the playlist skips to the next item upon resume.
This is very frustrating. Timeshift or "Save last played position" would be very helpful in this case.

Please, look into it. Thank you kindly in advance.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”