macOS specific usage questions
letaalio
New Cone
New Cone

VLC crashes (MacBook)

Postby letaalio » 27 Jan 2007 14:54

1) Mouse movement in the wrong time

How to reproduce:
Play anything in VLC, move the mouse so the black menu appears, wait for it to start fading away and move your mouse again.

Fix: dunno

2) Exit/enter multiple times from fullscreen

How to reproduce: check title
(Any video file)

3) Advance in .mkv files

How to reproduce: Play an .mkv file, try to advance in any way - crashes.
(In my case it was a 720p x264)

VLC 0.8.6a MacBook C2D, OS X 10.4.8

petterekman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby petterekman » 12 Feb 2007 22:19

I have also had some problems with VLC 0.8.6a on my MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz.

It crashes sometimes when advancing, it crashes going to full screen, it crashes changing video output to another screen, it crashes just starting a video...

Alot of crashes you see...

All of them are while trying different x264 720p-files.

Also, another weird note:

Watched Scrat - No Time For Nuts in x264 720p today with a friend, worked flawlessly.
A couple of hours later I'm about to show it to a girl who lives a few doors away, and then, no luck. When there is alot happening on screen, the video freezes while the audio continues.
No matter if I show it on the projector or on screen, fullscreen or not, it freezes at the same place each time!
Tried rebooting, fresh with no other programs running (half gig of ram free, 30% CPU, still lags badly).
Tried uninstalling some things I might have installed since then.

Nothing I have done seems to get it to work anymore.

This bothers me, since on of the reasons I bought the MBP is to watch x264 HDTV on my projector. Darn.

kakaboo
New Cone
New Cone

random but frequent crashes

Postby kakaboo » 13 Feb 2007 09:23

I have also been experiencing a lot of crashes lately. Mostly when playing x264 files and changing settings, e.g. from some weird setting to 16:9. But also on random occasions when choosing subtitles and every now and then when forwarding/rewinding.

The bad part is that when it crashes it kills the sound on the entire machine. Really bad. I use the Spdif output on the macbook but I think it crashes analog sound too.

I still haven't found out how to get the sound back without restarting OSX. Any help anyone?

petterekman
New Cone
New Cone

Re: random but frequent crashes

Postby petterekman » 13 Feb 2007 11:33

I have also been experiencing a lot of crashes lately. Mostly when playing x264 files and changing settings, e.g. from some weird setting to 16:9. But also on random occasions when choosing subtitles and every now and then when forwarding/rewinding.

The bad part is that when it crashes it kills the sound on the entire machine. Really bad. I use the Spdif output on the macbook but I think it crashes analog sound too.

I still haven't found out how to get the sound back without restarting OSX. Any help anyone?
Yup, the sound-issue is something I experience also. Not every time, but quite often.
The solution (at least for me) is quite simple:
-Remove SPDIF, mute and unmute (via keyboard), plug in SPDIF again. This should work. Can't remember if I actually needed to mute/unmute, but I think I did. I'm not at home right now, so I can't test... :P
But this method gets sound back easily.

Anyone had better luck in playing x264 with another player?
I'm a brand new Mac-user so I have very little experience... :)

Ayla
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ayla » 13 Feb 2007 13:10

Yup, the sound-issue is something I experience also. Not every time, but quite often.
The solution (at least for me) is quite simple:
-Remove SPDIF, mute and unmute (via keyboard), plug in SPDIF again. This should work. Can't remember if I actually needed to mute/unmute, but I think I did. I'm not at home right now, so I can't test... :P
But this method gets sound back easily.

Anyone had better luck in playing x264 with another player?
I'm a brand new Mac-user so I have very little experience... :)
You could try MPlayer... Can play HD DVD too :)
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html
/Martin

petterekman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby petterekman » 14 Feb 2007 19:06

You could try MPlayer... Can play HD DVD too :)
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html
Yeah, well I tried Mplayer OSX. It works great with the x264-clips, BUT, and a big but it is, it doesn't give me Dolby Digital EX through the optical out! All I get is stereo which my receiver then has to emulate 6.1-surround out of. It works, but is nowhere near as good as true surround.

VLC can do this, why not Mplayer?

Knarf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Knarf » 14 Mar 2007 00:22

Hello to everybody.
Get the latest OS-X update and many problems on your MacBook Pro will be solved.
Knarf

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”