Command line transcoding for iPod

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
transcoder
New Cone
New Cone

Command line transcoding for iPod

Postby transcoder » 30 Dec 2006 20:38

I'm having some difficulty transcoding with 0.8.6 under Windows 2000. I can transcode a VOB file with the GUI, but I'd rather have a batch file.

Having read the iPod wiki page and done various Google searches, I'm kinda struggling. VLC either complains that the options are incorrect (without actually telling me which ones it doesn't like) or does nothing at all. Of the 2, I figure the 2nd is preferable so this is my current command line:

vlc filename.vob --sout "#transcode{vcodec=h264, vb=768, scale=1, width=320, height=240, acodec=mpga, ab=128, channels=2, audio-sync}:standard{access=file, mux=mp4, dst=filename.mp4}"

Is there a way to find out which of those options is actually being taken? Does anyone know which option(s) I'm missing to make it actually transcode the file? The above command does nothing visible that I can see; I don't even get a pop-up complaint window.

loqu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby loqu » 25 Jan 2007 07:12

I use the following batch file to convert the mpg files from my tv card to mp4 for my ipod. To use it, I just drag the mpg file onto the batch file icon.

Code: Select all

@REM Remove the quotes from %1 variable for vlc paramters @SET infile=%1 @SET infile=%infile:"=% @REM Strip directory paths from %1 ... @FOR /F "delims=" %%i in ("%infile%") do SET filename=%%~ni @SET outdir=%userprofile%\My Documents\ipod video\ @SET outfile=%outdir%%filename%.mp4 @REM The following command should be on ONE line only. @REM Be sure to remove the carriage returns in your batch file. "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -vvv "%infile%" :sout="#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=1024, acodec=mp4a,ab=96,channels=2,samplerate=22050}:standard{access=file,mux=mp4,url=%outfile%}" vlc:quit --sout-transcode-width 320 --sout-transcode-canvas-height=240
Look for the following line and Be sure to create this folder location or change the path to a folder that already exists.

Code: Select all

@SET outdir=%userprofile%\My Documents\ipod_video\
I'm not sure how you are running your existing script, but I suggest testing the script from the command line, so that you can see the errors.

If you need more help, feel free to copy/paste your errors here.

transcoder
New Cone
New Cone

Postby transcoder » 29 Jan 2007 14:28

ty for the reply :)

i had actually already worked out how to do it with a batch file, but it's good to get a reply. your batch file works for drag and drop, hehe, mine doesn't :)

to (mildly) pervert the course of the thread, i think the frame rate is still broken, even with your batch file. i posted elsewhere that my batch encodes seem to produce broken frame rates and got no reply. i was kinda hoping mine was broken and yours would work. :(

viewtopic.php?t=30381&highlight=

sadly, yours also seems to break output frame rates.

loqu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby loqu » 30 Jan 2007 06:14

sadly, yours also seems to break output frame rates.
This seems to be a display problem in VLC, and not broken output frame rates.

viewtopic.php?p=97793

2pacalypse
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 2pacalypse » 06 Feb 2007 17:59

How can i amend the batch file so i can pass it the filename as a parameter from the command line:

batch file.cmd filename

would be much appreciated

loqu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby loqu » 06 Feb 2007 20:17

i've been using it as is ...

what problem are you running into?

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”