playing mpeg4 asf files recorded by Axis Media Control

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Zingaro2002
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

playing mpeg4 asf files recorded by Axis Media Control

Postby Zingaro2002 » 02 Feb 2007 17:56

Hi guys!

I use Axis Media Control ActiveX embedded in my Visual Basic Application to preview and record a video stream coming from an Axis IP camera or Axis video server.
The files are recorded well: the activeX uses axis mpeg4 codec with .asf extension.

I use Videolan to play them correctly in the same box that previews and records (here I installed mpeg4 codec from axis, using Internet Explorer).

I if try to view those files with videolan in another box with no axis mpeg4 codec installed I can see only the first frame, then it freezes.

It's a videolan-related problem, since on any win-box I can see those files using MediaPlayerClassic player and with DivX player.

Moreover: with videolan I cannot hear recorded audio, while I can hear it using MediaPlayerClassic player and with DivX player.

How can I solve this problem?
I don't want to install axis mpeg4 codec on any box (it must be network-connected to an axis device!!!).

I want to use Videolan Client to view my files since I still think it's a powerful player...

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 02 Feb 2007 19:21

VLC is not a Direct Show player. MPEG 4 in a ASF container generally shows up as a MPEG42 under Windows WMP natively and also plays in VLC. If a special codec is required for Direct Show VLC may not support this format container combination in the way it is being encoded.

Zingaro2002
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Zingaro2002 » 06 Feb 2007 12:24

VLC is not a Direct Show player. MPEG 4 in a ASF container generally shows up as a MPEG42 under Windows WMP natively and also plays in VLC. If a special codec is required for Direct Show VLC may not support this format container combination in the way it is being encoded.
Thank you... but I think it's a different problem (media player classic uses divx codec to play that file).
Please see here:
viewtopic.php?p=98758

luc1an0
New Cone
New Cone

Postby luc1an0 » 06 Feb 2007 17:41

I can't bring a solution to your problem... And unfortunately I have a problem could be post in this thread.

I have an Axis 207W and I use the event configuration in order to generate a video file and upload it on a ftp server.

If someone want to see an example : http://luc1an0.free.fr/video.mp4

(i just heard the sound)
How can I read video and sound in VLC ? Is there a special parameter in Axis configuration ? Or in VLC Media player.

I can play this video with another player with appropriates codec. But it's very important I use only VLC.

My final goal will be to diffuse these files (with vlc command line) from the debian dedicatted server which lodges my ftp server.

thanks

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”