General memory leak when streaming udp?

*nix specific usage questions
Humperdinck
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

General memory leak when streaming udp?

Postby Humperdinck » 24 Jan 2007 17:53

Is there a general memory leak when streaming video over udp?

Using vlc to stream video over udp breaks on FreeBSD, Fedora, Red Hat, Windows and Suse on different hardware. The behaviour is similar, streaming starts, memory leaks away and when memory is low enough vlc stops.

On the *nix variants the command to run vlc is as below. all installations are fresh and the latest version of vlc is being used.

vlc -vvv --loop playlist.m3u --sout '#transcode{acodec=mpga,vb=2048,ab=192}:standard{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=239.255.255.255}'

See also postings to below thread.
viewtopic.php?t=29020&highlight=freebsd

What can I do to help?
/Humperdinck

Humperdinck
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Humperdinck » 30 Jan 2007 19:33

Not one reply?

Am I the only one realizing the potential of using vlc as the engine to display video over the LAN?
/Humperdinck

Albert
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

problem

Postby Albert » 01 Feb 2007 09:43

Hello,
I suppose I have the same problem (but I didn't do any extensive research).
Kubuntu 6.10 + VLC 0.8.6 - udp multicast streaming - VLM or directly by vlc command. VLC is streaming till there is free memory and crashes.
Maybe this is known bug (and maybe already solved), I am going to try vlc nightbuild.
Albert

rahim_pardhan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rahim_pardhan » 20 Feb 2007 15:39

Was this problem resolved? If so what was the solution? I am having the same issues!

Thanks

Humperdinck
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Humperdinck » 20 Feb 2007 21:45

I am sorry, I have not.

I have posted the issue to the FreeBSD-questions mailing list but the conclusion from there, which I tend to agree to, is that this is an issue with vlc and threads.

I have been trying to analyze the source code and I have glanced in particular at the threads parts of it and tried a few alterations but so far no luck.
/Humperdinck

nantonop
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nantonop » 21 Feb 2007 14:39

hi,

just to narrow things down... i've been having the same problem but with http unicast broadcasts... It does take a while (a few days) for VLC to crash but it occasionally dies away with a segfault.

I have noticed however better behaviour in certain h/w conigurations and i'm trying to get an idea of what goes wrong at this point.

I'm sure it'll be a right pain to locate this leak. Try setting "ulimit -c unlimited" so that vlc dumps core when it crashes. I'm starting from there anyway...

hope we have news on this soon...

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”