VLM and VOD behind NAT using rtsp input stream

Discussion about configuration and usage of VLM (a stream scheduler) within VLC.
babel

VLM and VOD behind NAT using rtsp input stream

Postby babel » 15 Apr 2006 00:20

I'm trying to create a VOD server by using VLM. The input stream is a rtsp format. As it seams to be impossible to create VOD with a rtsp input stream, i used a workaround.

I created a localy 'broadcast' stream like this:
vlc.exe --ttl 255 -vvv --color -I telnet --telnet-password videolan --rtsp-host 192.168.0.3:44444

new canal1 broadcast enabled
setup canal1 input rtsp://<my_input_stream>
setup canal1 output #standard{mux=ts,access=rtp,url=192.168.0.3:44443}
control canal1 play

After this step, the stream coming from external RTSP server is forwarded locally on my computer and i can create VOD by using broadcasted stream in input:

new Test vod enabled
setup Test input udp://@:44443
setup Test output #transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=600,scale=0.5,venc=ffmpeg{trellis,hq=rd},acodec=mpga,ab=64,channels=2}

When i try to read the Test stream it works fine.
But i would like to setup more than one stream and troubles begin now.

My server is behind a router and i don't want to forward all port, so i have to setup a fixed UDP port in VLC (rtp-client-port).
When i configure a second channel to broadcast, and i try to play it, the first channel stops and the new one starts (sometimes it do nothing either).

Some of you could ask "why create a second VOD server using another VOD server in input ? Why don't use directly the 1st one ?"
My answer: "Because i want to read streams coming the original VOD server from any location but it can only be accessed from my home, so i have to dupplicate original streams by creating a VOD server myself"

My questions are:
- can we configure a different UDP port to each input rtsp streams and not only for a VLC session ?
- If not, i'm not against some other funny workaround
- Is it really impossible to use RTSP input stream for VOD without using workaround, or am i doing something wrong ?

Thanks in advance

Damien.

donnapaul
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby donnapaul » 30 Jun 2006 15:42

Did you ever resolve this?
I, too, would like to setup a vod behind a nat router, but see that rtsp won't work (yet).
Thanks.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 30 Jun 2006 22:26

it's not possible with VLC yet.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

lagarazo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lagarazo » 04 Oct 2006 13:17

I am trying to run a stream from command line with

--rtp-client-port 1234

but it does not work.

Could anybody help me?

wser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

rtsp behind NAT

Postby wser » 23 Jan 2007 18:02

It seems rtsp is not officialy supported by older routers. If you are behind a NAT the clients request to a public server is beeging dropped by the router. Any user has to open a single Port in the firewall to be able to access the rtsp information. Either 1235 or 8080 or whatsoever. This is most unlikely not everones choice or even skill. And shurely no one wants to retrieve information with a huge amount of configuration.

I try to put a rtsp VLC embedded Task to a website so as http://life.whatsoeverrecords.net to provide Live Camera Videos and Music. It worked allready with http oder mmsh but is not a aqiurate choice for streaming supposes. Under http://www.rtsp.org there are several informations found for rtsp issues. So as the notice that most industrial companies integrate the rtsp port configuration in their newer router models. But how long we have to wait until ever user has such a router.

So spending some time in research and problem solving is neccessary if you really want to use rtsp formats for whatever need.

Keep searching, I`ll be with you longer and keep you informed for solutions.

Regards

WSER

Return to “VLM”