ActiveX Control not running properly in IE7 (Strange)

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
JMS
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

ActiveX Control not running properly in IE7 (Strange)

Postby JMS » 19 Jan 2007 21:51

I've a web page with the VLC Control on it which works (more or less but I think this is either my fault or a point for another post) as it was intended. Sometimes I get a 'Usage' error command line window which in addition creates a file 'vlc-help.txt' with the syntax of a regular vlc.exe call (starting with: Usage: C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\axvlc.dll [options] [stream] ...).

Now, what happens? The page does NOT work ONLY if I start the page from inside some windows application using the URL as the name of the program to start. In this case Windows will start the IE7 (in my configuration) with the -nohome option. The VLC control although hosted seems to parse the command line and fails seeing this option.

Now the question: is it possible to tell the ActiveX control to get its hands off the command line?

Thanks

Jochen

wser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

ActiveX in Windows IE

Postby wser » 24 Jan 2007 23:46

Hallo

Your problem with activex appears when a new browser from any client opens a page with your earlier specified downlad http embedded vlc codebase. Right?

For IE its neccesary to add this adress in the html body so as other codabases for other browsers such as mozilla or safari. Right?

The only way to figure out to access a vlc embedded Page with IE is to change the security level in the Browses Internetoption to download unsigned acitveX elements.

So it have to has a possibility to make vlc codebase either a signed activeX or to find some other plugin than activeX for Windows IE7 or earlier. Maybe Java Plugin or perhaps ...whatever

How far have you come with this problem?

kindly regards

WSER

JMS
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby JMS » 24 Jan 2007 23:50

Well, actually it's much easier as described: when using (.NET) Process.Start(url) the IE is started with the -nohome option - I think the url will be transferred using DDE. The contol thinks that VLC.EXE is started and scans the command line which is very wrong in this case. For now I patched the registry not to use -nohome but I think the control should not parse the command line of the application it's living in!

Perhaps there is any option to supress parsing - PLEASE let me know!

Jochen

wser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wser » 25 Jan 2007 00:29

I`ll have to be carefull now, then you use words i have maybe heard of but not realy shure about what they mean :wink:

I use this words: If you run a machine which uses vlc as a media or streaming software you are able to provide this informations to a huge amount of potential users, who have to download vlc media player to their client. If they don`t know how to setup a change in the computer settings, then we have a problem, and you can`t always make this changes yourself or even let them know on the website itself.

I`m not Developper at all, but maybe...at least I`m intresseted.

So, you have solved the Problem on you local machine, Right?
How have you solved the Problem on "untouchable" clients?

If I have get you right, there`s more a Problem with Navigational Issues than with Plugin Issues. I embedd this function to the html code itself, basicly with keywords which are in the configuration files of our debian server. I use VLM and I have created Control Play Files (whatsoever) in the VLM Config.

About Parsing, I have to get intouch with my Partner tomorrow, I`ll let you know? And by the way, don`t you sleep at that time.

Gute Nacht, Good Night, Bonne Nuit

WSER

Quovodis
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Quovodis » 01 Feb 2007 10:53

this problem is related to http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/920, until we fix it, you will need to make sure that IE/firefox command line is empty

Return to “Web and scripting”