H264-Video does not show up on second Monitor

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
p91
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

H264-Video does not show up on second Monitor

Postby p91 » 04 Jan 2007 23:41

Hi,
I have a strange problem her.
I'm running Win XP SP2 and configurt my VLC to play all Videos on my second Monitor (I'm using the Chaos skin to controll vlc from the first monitor) and normaly everything works fine.
But one I start a H264 Video, it will not show up. I will get sound but no video. In fact, it looks like the Videowindow is opend and shut down a sec later. Once I alter VLC to play the video on my first monitor everything works fine.

SO I have two questions:
1. Is there a possibility to make VLC play H264-Files on my second Monitor?
2. If not, could be something build into VLC which checks if the Video does really play and if not restarts it but with the first monitor?

have a nice night
p91

PS: Please excude my bad english. It's not my native language and I havent spoken so muchen enlish in the past, exspecialy vocabulary concerning programming is missing due to this.
Well, at least I hope you understand what I mean ^^

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Tappen » 05 Jan 2007 01:38

I was able to reproduce this problem but it didn't have anything to do with h.264. If the video native dimensions are greater than the screen dimensions on the 2nd monitor, meaning VLC needs to scale down the video to make it fit, the video will fail to start.

I'm pretty sure the problem exists in the VLC DirectX code, and a Trac issue should be opened.

p91
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby p91 » 05 Jan 2007 02:34

Hm.
Do not think that it is caused by this because:

1. Both, the first and the second monitor are both running with 1024x768
2. VLC is set to display the Videos in fullscreenmode and therefore will (hopefully ^^) ajust them.

Well, maybe I am just stupid^^.
Gona try a H 264 video with a resultution below 1024x768 ^^

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 05 Jan 2007 09:44

Try shutting off "Overlay video output" in Preferences, Video.

Many video cards will not support video acceleration for a secondary monitor.

p91
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby p91 » 05 Jan 2007 11:08

Tried to deactivate that Overlay stuff but did not help.
Any other suggestions?

PS: Could this overlay option be the problem when you minimize VLC on my first monitor so you should not see a video anymore but still sees some parts of it but they are notshown in the videowindow but on the backgroundwallpaper (not the whole wallpaper. Only parts that seem to use a spezial kind of black color or something like that ^^)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 05 Jan 2007 11:21

Hmm! Sounds more like you have a video driver problem. Try updating your drivers and DirectX runtime.

p91
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby p91 » 05 Jan 2007 12:45

Well, I am already using DirectX 9.0c and the latest NVidia-Drivers ^^

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 07 Jan 2007 09:28

DirectX has been 9c since Oct 04 yet DirectX runtime is updated every few months and this is NOT automatic and what make you think that the latest drivers have resolved all the issues with the older drivers and or not created new issues??? This is particularly true of nVidia that caters to Gamers and overclocked systems that can really screw up the video overlay timing. It is my understanding that the newest drivers indeed do resolve a current Gaming issue at the expense of the Overlay not functioning properly.

p91
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby p91 » 07 Jan 2007 15:33

Well, I updated DirectX but no change ^^
I updated my nvidia-drivers and there was no change.

You said that this might be due to too new drivers.
But I have this problem ever since using VLC and also it does not matter if I use an ATI or and NVidia graficcard nor does something change if I use some old drivers. Any other ideas?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”