Currently developing Windows VLC PVR system.

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
CryHavoc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Currently developing Windows VLC PVR system.

Postby CryHavoc » 14 Jun 2004 22:26

Hi all.

My development of a PVR solution using the VLC core is coming along. I am looking for feedback and testers as I move forward.

The implementation uses the following technologies:

-VLC for basic playback, playlist, streaming and all the other wonderful functions it provides.
-Customized file access input plugin to support timeshifting, seek, pause of live stream.
-Custom TVtuner control plugin for channel changing, input selection, recording and general control of the DirectShow graph.
-Customized http control interface to support additional tuner control functions.
-Custom 'FileBufferFilter.ax" DirectShow Filter which provides the capture bufferring to support timeshifting.
-Java Swing based gui for high level TV interface/control (think Replay/Tivo like interface).
-Java based http robot for scraping TV Listings from Zap2It.com
-Java HSQLDB for relational storage of TVListings/recordings whatever
-Keystroke access to all major functions (to support remote control mapping).
-Currently using the OneBox IR/RF remote for couch potato control.

The Java GUI controls VLC (for required functions) through the http control interface.

If there are any developers or artist types out there who who like to collaborate, please contact me. If you would like to help test the integrated system as is becomes availible, I would like to hear from you as well.

Currently my implementation is Windows platform only, using Hauppauge PVR 250. Other TV Tuner/Capture cards could be made to work when the DirectShow graph is made more flexible (not currently using the dshow plugin provided by VLC).

And one last note.

Currently the system is being designed as a PVR Home Theater solution (almost exclusively). That being said, I haven;t spent anytime organizing my thoughts on the long term feature set. What I have so far on the design table is...

-Basic PVR functions (play, pause, record, TV Guide)
-DVD Playback, DVD Recording of capture shows, capturing from DVD.
-Capture/Record/Playback of streams from the internet (low bitrate most likely, think Nasa TV or expatriate content).
-Content syndication/display of some useful near static content (weather.. other things... think MythTV).

Anyone that could help organize a more lucid list/document of features would be GREATLY appreciated.

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 14 Jun 2004 22:43

Have you looked at the wintvcap.sourceforge.net application, perhaps seen if it can be used to help do some of the generic things that you want to accomplish? VLC has pulled in code like ffmpeg, another sourceforge project, to work as libraries servicing the rest of the app.

Just a thought...

CryHavoc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CryHavoc » 14 Jun 2004 22:55

Yes, wintvcap was one of the first programs I looked at (about a year ago). Recording and DirectShow Graph control is the easiest part of this whole thing (imho).

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”