VLC 0.8.6: DTS WAV & MPEG2 issues

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

VLC 0.8.6: DTS WAV & MPEG2 issues

Postby Lotesdelere » 28 Dec 2006 14:03

I have a DTS .WAV file which is playing fine in VLC 0.8.5 but not in VLC 0.8.6 final release.

In v0.8.6 the Ctrl+I window -> Details is showing me up to 48 of MPGA and MPGV streams while the Messages window is showing me this:

Code: Select all

vcd error: unrecognized entry points format vcd error: unrecognized entry points format vcd error: unrecognized entry points format vcd error: unrecognized entry points format
Deleting the preferences file didn't help.
VLC 0.8.5 properly detects (and plays) one audio stream in DTS format.

I also have problems playing the MPEG2 files created by ProgDVB with any version of VLC from v0.8.4a to v0.9.0-svn.
The audio is working fine but I got no video image at all. Although it seems that the video format and size are recognized as the Info window is showing a MPGV video stream and the VLC window is automatically resizing to the correct size but the screen keeps being black.

I've tried playing with the settings, changing video output, different deinterlace options, deleting the preferences file, but no way I still got no image at all.

GSpot 2.60 detects the files as MPEG2 files with no apparent error and is able to preview them properly.
The files are also playing fine in Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic and PowerDVD.

Any idea ?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Dec 2006 10:18

The files are also playing fine in Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic and PowerDVD.
These are all going to use PowerDVD's Direct Show codecs.

Provide a sample.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 29 Dec 2006 11:45

Nope. MPC uses it own internal MPEG-2 decoder by default.

Do other videofiles show video (ex. AVI)?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Dec 2006 14:33

Provide a sample.
Windows Media Player is using DScaler 5.008.
Media Player Classic is set to use its own internal codec but it's working fine with FFDShow codec as well.
PowerDVD is using its own Cyberlink decoder.

ProgDVB is using DScaler5 codec for both video and audio DVB-T streams. So I guess it's also using the same codecs for creating the MPEG2 files.

The DTS WAV and MPEG2 files samples have been uploaded to ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming
Folder 'Thread 30253 Issues'.

FYI I have no problem playing other MPEG2 files with VLC.
I also usually have no problem playing any other video format which is supported by VLC.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Dec 2006 19:23

FYI I've just done some quick tests with the same files on Linux running VLC 0.8.5.debian-2 (but I haven't changed the VLC version as I didn't want to deal with the libraries):

The DTS WAVE file is playing fine on VLC 0.8.5.debian-2.

Same behaviour of VLC 0.8.5.debian-2 as the Windows version with the MPEG2 files created by ProgDVB: no video image, just a black screen but the video format and the size are detected.
Although the files are playing fine (both audio and video) with Xine 0.99.3-1 and MPlayer-586 1:1.0-pre7cvs20051102-0.0.

:?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 30 Dec 2006 12:17

For video DTS is NOT in a wave wrapper.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 30 Dec 2006 14:17

For video DTS is NOT in a wave wrapper.
eh ? o_O

Maybe I haven't been clear enough.

The DTS WAV file is an audio only file.
This file is playing fine in VLC 0.8.5 only.
VLC 0.8.4a crashes when trying to play this file and VLC 0.8.6 doesn't detect the correct format.
Check the sample I've uploaded on the FTP in the '/incoming/Thread 30253 Issues' folder.

The MPEG2 issue is another issue which is NOT linked at all with the DTS WAV issue.
A sample has been uploaded into the same FTP folder.

Maybe I should have created two different threads, one for each issue, my bad then.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 01 Jan 2007 04:46

I'm not experiencing any issues with 0.8.5 final or 0.8.6 final with regard to DTS wave files or DTS audio CDs. However all nightly builds will have problems in this regard.

As for your MPEG2 issue. You have far to many MPEG decoders on your system. Direct Show uses a rating system to sort out the possible issues here but often it doesn't work right with some combination of encoders. Graphedit can be used to sort this out. Programs like WinDVD or PowerDVD will always use there own decoders, but they also make available these decoders to every other Direct Show player. Non the less this should not effect VLC. What will effect VLC is if the MPEG encoder is not making a compliant MPEG file and in order to determine this a sample will be required.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 01 Jan 2007 14:18

I'm not experiencing any issues with 0.8.5 final or 0.8.6 final with regard to DTS wave files or DTS audio CDs. However all nightly builds will have problems in this regard.
Have you tried with the sample you asked me to upload ?

As for your MPEG2 issue. You have far to many MPEG decoders on your system. Direct Show uses a rating system to sort out the possible issues here but often it doesn't work right with some combination of encoders. Graphedit can be used to sort this out. Programs like WinDVD or PowerDVD will always use there own decoders, but they also make available these decoders to every other Direct Show player. Non the less this should not effect VLC. What will effect VLC is if the MPEG encoder is not making a compliant MPEG file and in order to determine this a sample will be required.
Don't worry, I know pretty well about the DirectShow Merit system :)
I've done that on purpose and for testing purposes.

The default MPEG2 decoder is DScaler5.
But the advantage of using Media Player Classic and FFDshow is that you can enable/disable their decoders on the fly still for testing purposes.
And, as you said, PowerDVD is always using its own decoder, so I could try to play these files with many different decoders and players.

So at the end the MPEG2 files created by ProgDVB are playing fine in any player I've tried (WMP, MPC, PowerDVD on Windows and Xine, MPlayer on Linux) except VLC which is always showing a black screen, but the correct size, in any version from 0.8.4a to 0.9.0.

I've already uploaded the sample files you asked me, check few posts above:
The DTS WAV and MPEG2 files samples have been uploaded to ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming
Folder 'Thread 30253 Issues'.

TFS
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TFS » 02 Jan 2007 00:48

I can confirm the Problem on MacOS X (INTEL) with VLC 0.8.6 / 0.8.5.

Most MPEG2 Files work fine, but the one's I recorded with Windows+ProgDVB give me just a black screen with Audio.

I know that ProgDVB's files aren't very "clean" (some Standard-DVD-Players refuse to play them for example). If you demux your files with Project-X or a similar Application, you'll notice, that there are dozens of errors.

As far as I know, ProgDVB writes some PES headers & Extension without any corresponding data into the file. But then again I'm no expert on this field. But maybe this is the clue why VLC doesn't output any Video.

System: MacBook Pro 2 GHZ | 1 GB | VLC 0.8.6 | OS-X 10.4.8

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Jan 2007 02:43

Well the MPEG2 files are playing fine in many players...

And they are also playing fine with this recent version of FFplay I've grabbed from this site:
http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/ffmpeg/

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 03 Jan 2007 05:25

FFmpeg is NOT recognizing your mpeg2 file.

The DTS file plays normally here.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Jan 2007 11:58

I was talking about FFplay which is included in the same package I've posted above, I haven't tried with FFmpeg from this package yet.
Although I admit that the files might have a strange structure because when I'm looking inside with a hex editor they seem to have a strange misplaced header in some cases. However many players don't have any problem to play these files including FFplay (at least on my computer).
Using which VLC version ?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 03 Jan 2007 19:07

I was talking about FFplay which is included in the same package I've posted above, I haven't tried with FFmpeg from this package yet.
Although I admit that the files might have a strange structure because when I'm looking inside with a hex editor they seem to have a strange misplaced header in some cases. However many players don't have any problem to play these files including FFplay (at least on my computer).
Using which VLC version ?
1. If you look at Messages you will see the FFmpeg errors.

2. Either 0.8.5 or 0.8.6 works for me. Checked both versions.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Jan 2007 22:21

2. Either 0.8.5 or 0.8.6 works for me. Checked both versions.
OK it's working fine with v0.8.6.

I guess I messed up with the preferences folder when I did the tests.
Sorry, my mistake :oops:

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 27 Feb 2007 23:13

Just to correct.

1: DTS wav is currently broken, known issue
2: the mpeg2 file is an incorrect MPEG2 file. It's a PES file, which is not supported by VLC (other then on a Best effort basis). Save your files as MPEG PS or TS files so that A/V synchronization can be garuanteed instead of having to be guessed. The fact that other programs are good at guessing this does not make PES a good file format.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 Feb 2007 22:51

1: DTS wav is currently broken, known issue
DTS wave files work fine here (NO Messages) so do DTS audio CDs. Would you please point me to the trouble ticket for this one?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Mar 2007 14:55

J2: the mpeg2 file is an incorrect MPEG2 file. It's a PES file, which is not supported by VLC (other then on a Best effort basis). Save your files as MPEG PS or TS files so that A/V synchronization can be garuanteed instead of having to be guessed. The fact that other programs are good at guessing this does not make PES a good file format.
OK but notice that recent versions of FFplay are able to play these files whilst VLC doesn't. FYI.

zoran555
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby zoran555 » 03 Mar 2007 15:20

Just to correct.

2: the mpeg2 file is an incorrect MPEG2 file. It's a PES file, which is not supported by VLC (other then on a Best effort basis). Save your files as MPEG PS or TS files so that A/V synchronization can be garuanteed instead of having to be guessed. The fact that other programs are good at guessing this does not make PES a good file format.
Any ideas how to convert PES files? I tried PVAStrumento, but it didn't help?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Mar 2007 15:31

Use ProjectX to convert the file to a "M2P-MPG" file. When it's done then use PVAstrumento. :)

zoran555
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby zoran555 » 03 Mar 2007 16:11

Use ProjectX to convert the file to a "M2P-MPG" file. When it's done then use PVAstrumento. :)
I did use ProjectX to save as m2p, but it still used the PES container?
I then used PVAstrumento (make ps) but still no go in VLC?

I only got video after demuxing with ProjectX, but that way I have to mux video and audio again?

Can you be more specific please :)

hookeve
New Cone
New Cone

Problems with DTS-WAV files

Postby hookeve » 05 Mar 2007 22:36

Hi!

I can play the DTS-WAV files but only in estéreo remix, not in original 5.1 channels for the Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sp/dif digital out.

If I play a CD-DTS the digital format is correct 5.1

I've modified all the possible Audigy configurations, but it did'nt play well.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 05 Mar 2007 22:42

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1
Replacement drivers for Creative sound cards may do the trick.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 05 Mar 2007 23:06

Here’s a link to the updated version of those replacement drivers: (scroll down to link) kx audio driver v3538-full

zoran555
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby zoran555 » 06 Mar 2007 18:42

I tried VideoReDo, just use QuickStream Fix, and that's it...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”