Tearing cuts with a DVD video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ub00t
New Cone
New Cone

Tearing cuts with a DVD video

Postby ub00t » 22 Dec 2006 01:01

Hi,
again there seems to be a problem in my settings.

Situation: I have a 20"WS tft monitor. The resolution is 1680*1050 @60hz. So in my opinion it displays/refreshes the image 60times in a second. So if I'am watching a NTSC DVD Video (30fps in my opinion) shouldn't be a problem for the tft, or?

But in faster camera movements there are horizontal lines. It looks very strange, and I don't know why. The video output module is setted to standard. Would DirectX be more effective (or another one?). What about VSync, is a driver setting (x1900xt) affecting videolans dvd video output? Should vsync be on or off?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Dec 2006 01:22

Set the deinterlace setting to blender or X.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ub00t
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ub00t » 22 Dec 2006 02:40

Thanks for your fast answer, but why should that be the solution?

What is video output "standard" normally? DirectX? DirectX3D or Windows GDI? What's the difference? Is VSync working on DirectX output? Is Vsync NOT useful or useful in this case?

Deinterlacing makes the video quality worse, that's right, or?
Edit: I just reviewed some articles, so Deinterlacing is making "full pictures". This is better, in my understanding now. Doesn't dvds carry progressive streams? Are they still interlaced? I don't understand. So your solution was, that I change to deinterlacing, that the ntsc video is sending in 60hz? And not 30hz? Right?

But isn't blending the worst deinterlacing method? See the wikipedia article! How is blending called in the German Version? What is "X"?
[/i]

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Tappen » 22 Dec 2006 04:40

Not all DVDs are progressive. Even when they are, the sources they are transferred from may be improved by the filter. Give it a try and see for yourself.

ub00t
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ub00t » 22 Dec 2006 15:13

Is there a possibility to see if a dvd is progressive oder interlaced and if there are interlaced or deinterlaced pictures? And how many per second?

What is the deinterlacing filter in the expert settings?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 22 Dec 2006 19:25

Most sources had been through Telecene and had a 3-2 pull down applied before it ends up as a DVD. This is 3 progressive frames and 2 interlaced frames to form compatibility to TVs. This process is still considered Progressive video. In reproducing this on a computer timing could be at issue. Like overclocking or miss-clocking of the CPU or Video card.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”