VLC & codecs problems.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
eternalkp
New Cone
New Cone

VLC & codecs problems.

Postby eternalkp » 08 Dec 2006 18:46

I been using VLC for over six months now and absolutely love it. it's awesome compare to windows media player. i recently ran into a problem with playing media for the first time yesterday.

i download Gladiator & I Robt 1080p. VLC cannot play these two at all. it just open in a blank screen and the slider just go thru the screen really quick. no video or audio.
a friend of mine told me to download k-lite codec and i did. surprisingly these movies will play in windows media after i install k-lite codec but VLC still refuse to play them. I try and go to preference in vlc but it's just confusing.

i've play many HD movies with vlc before like Kill Bill 1080i, BBC Planet Earth 1080p series, Saw 1080i, Finding Nemo 1080i. so what gives?

please help

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 08 Dec 2006 19:32

1. VLC does not support h.264 interlaced video. This should be changing in future releases.

2. While your machine may support HD MPEG it may not support HD H.264 as there is no standard open source hardware acceleration for the video card yet.

Considering that you have not provided enough info.. regarding the exact formats and container, or perhaps even confirmed the resolution or checked CPU usage. It would be very difficult to make any more comments here.

eternalkp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eternalkp » 08 Dec 2006 22:13

i just finish watching gladiator 1080p with windows media player, i hate it. it always takes forever to load the next clip.

anyways, I have an AMD FX-60 dual core cpu and both of the cores load about 65% during gladiator with windows media player.

these files are .ts files
other movies like MAN ON FIRE also has .ts file which plays perfectly with vlc.
i am just puzzle now come gladiator, i robot, and spy game .ts won't play.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 08 Dec 2006 23:31

Messages most generally gives reasons.

Trax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Trax » 09 Dec 2006 12:11

Using K-lite would be like blindly taking all the pills you can find in a cabinet for just heaving a headache and hoping for the best.. And VLC comes with its own internal codecs so installing codec packs won't help.

If this is indeed MPEG4 part 10 / H.264 / AVC (with all quality turned on) then it would take extremely much CPU and you could turn off the deblocking filter for performance. Settings, Preferences, Input / Codecs, Other, FFmpeg (Advanced), Skip loopfilter -> All.

Also FFmpeg is not multithreaded for decoding H.264 so multi cpu has no effect either..

Start with --extraintf logger -vvv and a vlc-log.txt will get created with more info/errors.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 Dec 2006 20:26

Go get em Trax :) I hate codec packs with a passion too!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”