Native Resolution in Full Screen Mode

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Eagle784
New Cone
New Cone

Native Resolution in Full Screen Mode

Postby Eagle784 » 28 Nov 2006 21:37

Is there any way to get VLC to display video at native resolution in full screen mode, with black borders around all the edges? Pixelation bothers me, and having the windows desktop in the background while watching is distracting. Thanks for your help.

PS: If VLC can't and you know of another media player that can, please let me know.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 Nov 2006 17:49

You can't resize video to certain resolution with VLC (eg lancoz resize). But VLC should scale it right in full screen.

Eagle784
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Eagle784 » 03 Dec 2006 23:34

The point is I don't want VLC to scale it at all. It should just play it at native resolution with black borders all around the video.

I found out that media player classic does this if you set video frame to normal size.

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 04 Dec 2006 15:28

hello

a ticket has been opened for this feature request https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/881

it should be fairly easy to do, if you know a bit video outputs.

the windows developer is currently looking at pixel shaders to improve fullscreen scaled videos, but fullscreen without scaling could be a disabled by default option.

look at the ticket url for further news

forart.it
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby forart.it » 07 Jan 2007 17:00

It would be great to have a "switch resolution @ fullscreen" setting, as Dscaler (THE open source -GPL- TV&Video deinterlacer) has, that allows you to choose the refresh too. :shock:
>>Forward Agency
In progress we (always) trust.

meph
New Cone
New Cone

Postby meph » 26 Jan 2007 14:57

Hi
I'd like to add to this that it would be very useful if this feature would work even if when the video is larger than the screen.

I have a 1900x1200 screen and would very much rather lose 20 columns of pixels at the sides than have the machine waste time scaling the image and introducing artifacts.

Also since some screens have built in scalers some people might find it helpful if vlc could be configured to switch to a video mode that matches what's being played. (Not sure if this is what was meant in the original post.)

Thanks
MikeG

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”