VLC - Audio but no Video ***PLEASE HELP***

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
CombatSanta
New Cone
New Cone

VLC - Audio but no Video ***PLEASE HELP***

Postby CombatSanta » 26 Nov 2006 12:43

VLC will only play the audio and show a black screen when I try to play a video. It doesn't seem to matter what I give it, avi, mkv, Mpeg 1 or 2, divx, xvid.... it all comes out black with sound only. All files play fine with BSPlayer but I need VLC to play videofiles with DD and DTS audiostreams.

I am currently using VLC 0.8.5 and I have the latest FFdshow, ACFilter 1.11 and DivX 6.4 installed on my computer which is an AMD X2, Nvidia 6800 with the latest drivers.

I've been scanning the internet now for 3 hours and haven´t bean able to find a solution. Can anyone please help me?

Trax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC - Audio but no Video ***PLEASE HELP***

Postby Trax » 26 Nov 2006 13:42

I am currently using VLC 0.8.5 and I have the latest FFdshow, ACFilter 1.11 and DivX 6.4 installed
VLC uses internal codecs so FFdshow, ACFilter and DivX won't have an effect on things.

No video or black output usually points to a driver/compatibility issue and has been reported in the forum before. What you can try is to turn of overlay: Settings, Preferences, Disable Overlay (no hardware acceleration) or in Output Modules, Select Advanced Options, switch to another like OpenGL.

Alternatively you can try the 0.8.6 test release which also has support for Direct3D as video output: http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/video ... 8.6-test2/

If you use the installer version it will also add shortcuts for switching video output modules from the start menu.

CombatSanta
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC - Audio but no Video ***PLEASE HELP***

Postby CombatSanta » 26 Nov 2006 16:20

VLC uses internal codecs so FFdshow, ACFilter and DivX won't have an effect on things..
Yes I know this but I just thought the info might help, thanks.
No video or black output usually points to a driver/compatibility issue and has been reported in the forum before. What you can try is to turn of overlay: Settings, Preferences, Disable Overlay (no hardware acceleration) or in Output Modules, Select Advanced Options, switch to another like OpenGL..
Yes I have seen another post where there were suggestions made about this but I have tried this and it does not work for me..
Alternatively you can try the 0.8.6 test release which also has support for Direct3D as video output: http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/video ... 8.6-test2/

If you use the installer version it will also add shortcuts for switching
video output modules from the start menu.
Thanks! I will try this. The wierd thing is that VLC used to work for me about a month ago. Can't really recall if I have done something segnificant to my system since then?

redmenace
New Cone
New Cone

Postby redmenace » 26 Nov 2006 18:34

Try specifying the FPS in the Setting>Prefferences>Sout Stream>Transcode/advanced options. Also you can pull up the messages window and see what is going on. It is found under the view options. It is basically a debug spew.

Sorry, ignore my post above. You are not transcoding.

kdub420
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kdub420 » 26 Nov 2006 23:55

Hey-
Had the same prob on my laptop*-Compaq Evo N600c 866 pIII,512 ram
16 mb ATI Radeon win 2000 server pro.Did all the above mentioned-no luck.
My son told me to update or at least reload the vid drivers -I did and voila! VLC is back! yeahhhh
kdub
* yeah I know it's supposed to be a boat anchor but for $75.00 I'll run 2000 or linux allday! And it still leaves me change from my 8G a year salary

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 27 Nov 2006 03:38

If VLC once worked and all of a sudden stopped working. Try erasing VLC's preferences folder then reboot your machine.

Erase the preferences directory. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\VLC Erase VLC, Application Data is a hidden directory so you will need to make it visible.

CombatSanta
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CombatSanta » 28 Nov 2006 22:25

You are a genious DJ!! After I removed the folder and rebooted VLC is alive again..

Now the only problem I´ve got is that vlc flickers.. It's like if you imagine that you play a video with normal brightness and then you take that same video and increse the brightness a bit and the you switch/flicker between these in no apparent rhytm. I had the same problem before and with the 0.8.4 version. Any thoughts?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 Nov 2006 23:43

If the monitor is a CRT it could easily be the refresh rate. Try a multiple of the frame rate.

Often in a LCD or similar monitor the refresh rate is fixed and this can cause jitter in some systems.

For MPEG sources try shutting off the Skip frames option in Preferences, Video. Then press Save and close the player.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”