Streaming partial extract not working

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
RipperDoc
New Cone
New Cone

Streaming partial extract not working

Postby RipperDoc » 25 Nov 2006 04:48

My mission is simple: I want to save some extracts from my Xvid-encoded movies. I was hoping VLC is the tool to choose, but after 3 hours of trying, I cannot make it work.

To transcode an extract with the GUI, one must use the wizard, which already makes me lose some important options such as ratio. I try transcoding to H264, mp4a and mp4 - only audio is output. I try mp4v, mp4a and mp4 - only audio. I really would like to transcode to something iPod-compatible from the beginning - why is it not working? The same transcoding setting works if I choose to transcode the while file, not just an extract.

Ok, so I try command line. After reading the long, long help file, I find the parameters start-time and stop-time. They seem to do the same as choosing the extract times from the GUI - but still only audio is output.

Have anyone suceeded outputting extracts of a video to file, preferrably something iPod-comatible? What am I doing wrong?

(oh, by the way - I am using the latest nightly, which by the way always crashes when I try to add my movie to the playlist).

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 25 Nov 2006 19:16

hello

if you're using 0.9.0, start-time and stop-time seems to be broken, so you may want to try with 0.8.6

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”