multicast and wireless

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
ilcomi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

multicast and wireless

Postby ilcomi » 02 Jun 2004 20:22

why when i do a udp multicast streaming in a net with wired and wireless computer the wireless computer can't do nothing on the net all operation are slow or stop; they can't use also internet.

This model of sparklan AP point can do multicast pass, so wich is the problem.

Also with a PVR do multicast on VLS or VLC only wired PC recive the streming but if i do an unicast streaming from PVR a wireless PC can recive.

Please help...

Thanks

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 02 Jun 2004 21:38

The wired ethernet is 100Mb/s your wireless connection is problably 11Mb/s (at best usually considerably less).

VLC needs a lot of bandwith probably to transmit your stream (about 5Mb/s for DVD ). Bad connection, combined with enormous overhead WLAN generally has, and the packetloss at the TCP side (internet) it has to probably deal with will generate this effect.

So you need to send less video over the wlan connection, or optimize the WLAN connection.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 03 Jun 2004 01:11

A quick thing, likely to work:
-When you stream, use Transcoding options. In Streaming Wizard, select both Audio and Video transcoding. The default video and audio CODECs are OK, but try bumping the ciswo from 1024 to 2048 kbps, and the audio to 256 kbps.

Someone else was experimenting recently, this seemed to work OK for them (decent quality).

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”