VLC client/server capability

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
rbmcgee
New Cone
New Cone

VLC client/server capability

Postby rbmcgee » 15 Nov 2006 16:09

Hi all,

I've read some about VideoLan but am slightly confused about a certain capability.

My desktop computer (computer #1) has an IOmagic capture card being fed via a satellite receiver. I use Dscaler to view TV on the PC. No PVR, don't need/want it that capability. I only watch live TV. It works extremely well.

I have another computer (computer #2) in one of the bedrooms that rarely gets used. It is an old P3 1G. It does not have any capture card or even any satellite receiver nearby. It is not worth getting a capture card/receiver.

It is my understanding that I can stream the live TV from computer #1 to computer #2 using VideoLan (server/client). All computers are wired 100mbs via a router.

At this point I do not need a how to manual but rather simply an understanding of capability.

1) Can I indeed stream live TV (no files created/no PVR) over the network from computer 1 to computer 2 and in effect, watch live TV on computer 2?

2) Is computer 2 powerful enough to pull this off? (I know computer #1 is)

3) Does it matter whether or not the TV is running on computer 1 while streaming?

4) Can dscaler still be the TV on computer 1 or do I have to switch to using VideoLan? I assume I have to use VideoLan on computer 2 to view TV.

Thanks for any help.

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Tappen » 15 Nov 2006 20:05

This is exactly what the new http://www.team-mediaportal.com TV server is meant to do. You have to use their TV server but can use VLC as the client.

VLC doesn't have a well-developed TV (DirectShow) capture component right now, in particular it won't get audio with capture cards that send audio and video through the same DirectShow connection.

DScaler doesn't use the MPEG-2 encoding of many capture cards, but instead works directly with the hardware to produce an amazing picture from analog input. You won't be able to stream this raw data over even a 100mbps network (it would require a gigabit lan working perfectly) so you'll need to switch the way you take in the TV data using different programs if you want to stream.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”