VLC only plays sound - no video - with low level privilege

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cdtkoenig
New Cone
New Cone

VLC only plays sound - no video - with low level privilege

Postby cdtkoenig » 02 Nov 2006 21:27

Hi,
I noticed this pb in another topic but my labtop symptoms are quite diferents. As I wrote in title, if I use vlc as a standard windows user, no-video, grey screen BUT everything is ok if I use it with administrative rights.
VLC still do not show video even if I run it as administrator in my standard user session.

Help :(

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Admin user

Postby Tappen » 03 Nov 2006 04:21

I installed VLC as an Administrator, but I run as a normal User 99% of the time and have no problems playing/transcoding with VLC as a non-Admin.

cdtkoenig
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cdtkoenig » 11 Nov 2006 14:52

In fact, only the administrator account can see video on vlc. If I add my personal account into the administrators group, still no video for me :(
My config :
Xp SP2 Fr
Toshiba M60-175 (Ati Radeon X600 SE)

All other players ork fine .

Thanks

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Nov 2006 18:27

Have you tried disabling Overlay video output from VLC? Or changed to Windows GDI output? Are you using fast user switching?

cdtkoenig
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cdtkoenig » 11 Nov 2006 22:49

Have you tried disabling Overlay video output from VLC? Or changed to Windows GDI output? Are you using fast user switching?
:D that's it !
without overlay I can see my video!
Thank you very much !!!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Nov 2006 23:03

Disabling the Overlay within VLC places a slight bit more weight on your CPU and is generally a problem with your Video drivers, if you are using VLC on a main monitor and not a secondary monitor. On a secondary monitor many video cards do not support the use of video acceleration so the overlay must be shut off. But if you want to play HD files that are processor intensive it may be smart to update your video drivers so that the use of this switch is not necessary.

cdtkoenig
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cdtkoenig » 12 Nov 2006 12:12

Disabling the Overlay within VLC places a slight bit more weight on your CPU and is generally a problem with your Video drivers, if you are using VLC on a main monitor and not a secondary monitor. On a secondary monitor many video cards do not support the use of video acceleration so the overlay must be shut off. But if you want to play HD files that are processor intensive it may be smart to update your video drivers so that the use of this switch is not necessary.
OK, I will give a check to my video driver (Radeon X600 SE is well known chipset so I will probably find an update)
I will give driver update results here

thanks

cdtkoenig
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cdtkoenig » 12 Nov 2006 14:00

Bad news, event with the latest toshiba driver, still need uncheck the overlay option for my account (hydravision and windows transparency works fine, strange ...)
But i am quite happy with the uncheck overlay workaround :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”