VLC display problem

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
clin
New Cone
New Cone

VLC display problem

Postby clin » 10 Nov 2006 06:08

VLC media player 0.9.0-svn Grishenko
After VLC running, only see the vlc title and icon on menu,letters on meun is not displayed. Why?
Whether I lose compiling something , like font library??
Thanks a lot.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Nov 2006 09:19

Languages

VLC uses the fonts installed on your system for your language! The default is the installed language.

This can be changed in Preferences, Interface from the pull down select your language. But you probably can't see this. :lol:

So open a DOS box and type: CD "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC" Then type: vlc --language en for English or fr for French

Syntax: --language {auto,en,en_GB,ca,da,de,es,fr,it,ja,ka,ko,nl,oc,pt_BR,ro,ru,tr,
zh_CN,zh_TW}

When VLC opens check to be sure you can read the menus and then open Preferences and press "Save" then close the player.

If you are still having problems with your preferred language you will need to reinstall that language within Windows so that it will fill in the missing or broken fonts in your system. 8)

Just thought about the forum I'm in. Hope your system is Windows :) But if it isn't I'm sure someone here will help you get going.

clin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby clin » 10 Nov 2006 11:20

Thank DJ,
But my system is linux (fc4) :-(

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Nov 2006 19:56

You don't have directories or a command line structure in Linux???????

clin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby clin » 11 Nov 2006 04:33

Sorry, There have the directory and command lines, but no the
--language option, only has --sub-language for video.

In windows system, I follow your advice, it works fine now, Thanks DJ.

But In linux system, I think that there maybe lose some configuration for vlc, but I am not find it currently.

clin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby clin » 11 Nov 2006 04:41

By a way, I recompile vlc source code that download from svn in linux system, so I also doubt some source or some library not be installed.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”