How do I record a .ram file to .wav?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Metallo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How do I record a .ram file to .wav?

Postby Metallo » 10 Nov 2006 10:15

Hi,

I have downloaded a radio broadcast and I'd like to transfer it on CD.

How do I encode it in .wav?

The downloaded format is .ram and I can listen to it via VLC.

Thank you
Alex

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Nov 2006 12:06

Try using s16l in a wave container.

Metallo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Metallo » 10 Nov 2006 12:15

Try using s16l in a wave container.
DJ, can you be a bit more specific, I am totally new to VLC

Thanks
Alex

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Nov 2006 12:31

Specific? You are trying to record a stream right? Or did you download the file?

Well in any event in any Open menu there are Advanced options. Click the Stream/Save box and then Settings. This will bring up a menu that should be kinda self explanatory assuming you use what I suggested. If you still have problems I will look for or write a step by step.

BTW VLC is not a CD or DVD writing utility. But most programs like Nero or Roxio will take the wave file(s) and make it into a CD audio disk assuming you tell it to do so.

Metallo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Metallo » 10 Nov 2006 13:25

Specific? You are trying to record a stream right? Or did you download the file?

Well in any event in any Open menu there are Advanced options. Click the Stream/Save box and then Settings. This will bring up a menu that should be kinda self explanatory assuming you use what I suggested. If you still have problems I will look for or write a step by step.

BTW VLC is not a CD or DVD writing utility. But most programs like Nero or Roxio will take the wave file(s) and make it into a CD audio disk assuming you tell it to do so.
Yes, I have downloaded a .ram stream (radio broadcast) and want to transfer it on CD.

I tried what you suggested, but no success, maybe I am doing something wrong in setting the right parameters.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you
Alex

Metallo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Metallo » 10 Nov 2006 15:54

Hi,

I followed the instructions below, but no way, when I finally click OK, nothing happens :(
This was written for people that want just the audio from a video but should still be applicable in your case except you won't need to shut down the video.

You may need the turn off the video in Preferences, Video uncheck the box marked "Enable video" then press "Save and close the player. Don't forget to turn it back on when you are done.

1. From the "File" pull down select the "Open file" menu then select "Browse" from the "Look in:" pull down go to the drive and directory where your file is located then pick the file you want to transcode then in "Advanced options" check the box marked "Stream/Save" and the "Settings" Box will be Highlighted, press it.

Please note: You can also get to the "Open file" menu by right clicking on the player and selecting "Open" and then "Open file".

2. You now have come to the Options Menu called "Stream output". Check the box marked "File" and Browse to where ever you want to save the file you are about to make then select a destination and a file name. Don't forget to specifically give the file name an extension in this case .mp3

3. In the row of boxes marked "Encapsulation method" enter "Raw"

4. In "Transcoding options" check the box marked "audio" and from the pull down select "mp3" then "Bitrate (kb/s)" 128 is rather normal for this type of file and leave the "Channels" 2 setting if the source is stereo. Check the box marked "Play locally" if you want to listen to the file while you transcode it.

Please note: At the top of the screen there is a long white strip that is marked "Destination Target:" When you were entering information this was changing. This is the internal command line for VLC you could have copied and pasted the command that I gave you here and it would have worked provided you changed the destination or just change the Owner and would save the file in "My Music" that is available in your "Start" Menu.

:sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=raw,url="C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\My Documents\My Music\My.mp3"}}

5. Then press "OK" and on the next screen, Press "OK" and the process will make a compatible mp3 file in the directory you chose.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Nov 2006 19:02

All transcodes are somewhat source dependent. In order to know why something doesn't work or how it may be corrected:

1. learn your formats and containers by beginning to look at Stream and Media Information.

2. Learn to look at the source material for errors using the Messages box.

3. Learn to look at the transcode or stream for errors using the Messages box.

Most times the Messages box will offer reasons why a transcode is not happening. In some source formats the option samplerate=<rate> must be used to get a transcode to MP3 for example. However there are still a few source formats that do not connect at all.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Nov 2006 19:29

Yes, I have downloaded a .ram stream (radio broadcast) and want to transfer it on CD.

I tried what you suggested, but no success, maybe I am doing something wrong in setting the right parameters.
I have no idea what a .ram container is or if it's a raw file format. This may be part of the problem here. In a superficial search nothing relevant came back regarding Multi-Media. Not all formats are compatible with all other formats and containers and the pins just don't connect. Try opening Messages and look for errors.

The usage is just a matter of filling in the boxes.

1. "File" Select a destination for the file using the Browse button and give the file a name "anything.wav"

2. "Encapsulation Method" Select the container type. In this case "WAV".

3. "Audio codec" Select s16l. The rest of the settings here are up to you. The bitrate option effects the quality of the file. Lowering it to far and the quality gets worse. Raising it will maintain more quality but is dependant on the quality of the source. I most cases the default is a good starting place. Channels is the number of channels you want to maintain of the source. In most cases the source is 2 channel Stereo and there in no reason to change this.

4. If you want to listen to the file while transcoding use "Play locally"

5. Press OK and assuming you have selected a file to transcode Press OK
again and the transcode will begin.

6. Opening the Messages window will allow the monitoring of the transcode and give reasons should the transcode not happen or stop.

Beta Byte
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Beta Byte » 11 Nov 2006 03:21

Try MediaCoder it's free, and very easy to use :)

joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby joseph5 » 11 Nov 2006 19:11

I have no idea what a .ram container is or if it's a raw file format.
It's a Real Media container format, usually with Real Audio.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Nov 2006 21:34

VLC does NOT support Real Media.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”