VLC in VB6 hangs after a while

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
wolly_a
New Cone
New Cone

VLC in VB6 hangs after a while

Postby wolly_a » 16 Aug 2006 17:49

I can't get it right. After lots of searching and trying i can't fix the problem. I uses VLC in a VB6 project. On different times a few video's (MPG's) will be started. This works fine, but after a few hours or a few days the program takes 100% CPU power, the video stops playing, but when i look in Task Manager the program is still activited. There is no way to turn the program back on again or to let the video play again. What goes wrong? Is there somebody who had the same problem and a solution?

reza
New Cone
New Cone

Postby reza » 17 Aug 2006 02:16

I have also seen the problem.
It occurs more frequently when playing locally as opposed to simply streaming.

wolly_a
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wolly_a » 20 Aug 2006 10:02

Hmmm.... there is nothing that will work! It's driving me crazy! VLC can do so much, it's perfect for the little program i want to make....

This is what i do:

On user-prefered time i load 4 or 5 videofiles (MPG) in de playlist. They will start to play then. When the video's are played, the program waits until the next time the user want the video's to play. It works for a while but after a couple of hours (i don't know how long) the video stops playing. This can be anywhere in any video. The VLC directX overlay thingy uses then a lot of CPU power and when i tried to close it, i get the idea the program has crashed.

Is there some way to make this work? I really want to use the VLC player for my program. Or is there a way to unload the VLC player for a few seconds from my program and load it then again. Maybe it will reset the player?!

wolly_a
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wolly_a » 28 Aug 2006 20:51

Is there nobody who has a little hint how to solve this problem? It's driving me crazy. I'm working on it day and night now!

I tried everything in the VB code, updated all drivers and directx on my pc, tried other things i found on this forum, but without succes.

One thing i discovered: when i use divx3 avi-files combined with mpeg2 files, the video plays for a long time but starts to stutter after a view days. When i use only mpeg2 files, the video stops playing after about a day. Both times VLC uses enormous amounts of memory. It doesn't look like the VLC or my program has crashed, but the video stopped, the last played picture is still visible.

After all this, my suggestion is that there is a problem in the playing of mpeg2 files, but how to make it work?!

wolly_a
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wolly_a » 29 Aug 2006 15:21

Another strange thing i discovered. Normally the value of vlcplugin1.position is between 0 en 1, but when the problem appears the value is something like 7,013375E-07, depending on the length of the video. Because there is no other way to detect the end of a video then by the position, the program doesn't see that the video has stopped. When the strange values appears the video stops playing and the coming video's from the playlist won't come either.

Quovodis
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Quovodis » 03 Sep 2006 12:54

the value of 7,013375E-07 is actually an error code that got badly converted from int to float; it indicates that the input chain is no longer available (i.e nothing is playing)
this is a bug, that will not be available in the next release.

as far as the CPU load problem, I have no idea, this sounds like VLC is stuck in an infinite loop.

you can unload VLC by refreshing a Web Page or closing your VB form and reopen it.

alternatively, try a development version, see if this works better for you

Uge
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Uge » 28 Oct 2006 12:43

2 wolly_a

I have the same problem! VLC stops playing in VB after 4-6 hours in dshow mode and the last played picture (frame) is still visible. There is no way to unload ActiveX and to load it again in runtime. ActiveX just is a point where main VLC plugins are attached to your app. To reload ActiveX you must restart your program. But I have solution. It's not very nice but it works. Look at this: viewtopic.php?t=27111 Using this you can load/unload ActiveX in runtime. If you need this i can send you sorcers. It's written in VB6

MarcScherer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MarcScherer » 09 Nov 2006 12:29

I have the same problem with playing tv streams.
I test with several streams and see that the strength of the effect depends on the used codec.
start/stop actions didn't take any effect.

Return to “Web and scripting”