Streaming Delay

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Nine
New Cone
New Cone

Streaming Delay

Postby Nine » 08 Jun 2006 19:49

I noticed that there is about a 2 second delay in streaming content.

I was thinking about using VLC as an alternate to VNC, as a way of having a thin client and a central server. That is on a dual or quad processor system, with VLC running and capturing the screen and streaming it, and the other processors doing media, 3d graphics, or games. Using Synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/) for mouse and keyboard.

I'm using VH Screen Capture driver, for the screen capture http://www.hmelyoff.com/.

In testing this out, I set up a UDP stream and I noticed a 2 second delay. It's not the capture device, if I open the capture device there is only a few frames lag. It's not my network, because I've tried it via local host (127.0.0.1). I tried different codecs for transcoding the stream, but there was no difference.

Any ideas what this is, is it transcoding or is it part of UDP or something else?

yoann
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby yoann » 08 Jun 2006 20:08

There is some caching when streaming in UDP with VLC that you could try to decrease. Have a look at the preferences there (with Advanced options checked off):
- Stream output -> Access output -> UDP (for your server)
- Input/Codecs -> Access modules -> UDP/RTP (for your client)

Default caching is 300ms for both of them, so you could theoretically save a 600ms delay with these settings...

Nine
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nine » 08 Jun 2006 20:20

Thanks!!! That definetly sped it up by 600ms! The delay was about 1900ms, now its about 1300ms. I wonder what the rest of the delay could be. I'll look at the other settings, see if there is anything obvious.

Nine
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nine » 08 Jun 2006 21:37

There is another thing I notice. For the DirectShow settings there is a delay that defaults to 200ms. If I set this to zero, then the display is more snappy (maybe down to the minimal 1 frame delay). This works fine when I simply view it in VLC, but if I stream it with this setting, the recieving client at some point stops updating. And it seems like 200ms is a magic number, everything below it eventually causes the client to stop updating.

KevinFromCville

streaming delay

Postby KevinFromCville » 09 Jun 2006 00:09

Hello - I am very interested in the answer to this as well. I am trying to use two DV camcorders (WinXP, directshow) in a videoconferencing application. The video looks good but delayed by the afore-mentioned 2 seconds. Interestingly, under vlc 8.2 I could not get the video to stream at all unless I set the direct show caching value to 0. As Nine mentions, 8.5 seems to like a value of 200

ama
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ama » 11 Jul 2006 15:42

Hello

how can we set the same options using the comman line ?

thanks

Myster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Myster » 27 Aug 2006 21:31

The delay exists! I try to stream in HTTP and delay is 2 sec. It's not a UDP issue.
Please help!

Thank you.

lagarazo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lagarazo » 18 Oct 2006 17:45

There is some caching when streaming in UDP with VLC that you could try to decrease. Have a look at the preferences there (with Advanced options checked off):
- Stream output -> Access output -> UDP (for your server)
- Input/Codecs -> Access modules -> UDP/RTP (for your client)

Default caching is 300ms for both of them, so you could theoretically save a 600ms delay with these settings...
Are these settings related to any command parameters? What do we have to do in command line?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 19 Oct 2006 19:36

All command line functions (syntax) may be found by typing vlc -H on the command line in the VLC folder.

I believe you will find that by eliminating all the delays (buffering), streaming will be impossible! :) but you are most welcome to try.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”