VLC to a server properly.

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
bunny
New Cone
New Cone

VLC to a server properly.

Postby bunny » 02 Oct 2006 09:40

First of all if this is a super n00bish question, I'm sorry!

What I am trying to do is take my web cam and display it live on a web site. I'm not sure what software would do this the best, so I figured I would try VLC. I currently can stream my web cam to a file using VLC and then upload it to a web server and run it from there. The problem is it is not streaming or live.

If I select UDP (for example) I can put in the address of the server I want to send to but nothing happens. Should I put in an ftp address so it can upload a streaming file? How is vlc going to send to my file server if it doesn't have access?

I know this is probably a more simple and stupid question. I appologise for that, but I can't seem to figure out how to stream vlc to my file server.

mdsh
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mdsh » 02 Oct 2006 18:39

Hope this doesn't sound to n00bish as a reply.

I assume you don’t want people on the Internet to connect directly to the computer you are running vlc on? In which case you need a server (software) that you can stream to that will then split that stream and serve it to the Internet – Darwin streaming server from Apple is good for that, because it’s free and easy to setup on Linux, Mac OS X Server, Solaris 9, and Windows 2000/2003 Server.

If you don’t mind all and sundry accessing your machine then you can setup vlc to serve the stream via http or mmsh directly to the Internet.

Personally I go for the first answer, I run a Darwin server on my Linux web server which ‘reflects’ the rtp stream from vlc out onto the Internet.

Hope that gives you enough buzz words to get you going.
--
Mark Himsley

diptendu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby diptendu » 04 Oct 2006 12:55

Could you please post the scripts that you are using to make VLC to DSS work. Also kindly let us know the webcam details and how you setup DSS for internet access.

Regards,

Diptendu

wtilton
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wtilton » 04 Oct 2006 23:26

I'm in the exact same boat. I'll check Darwin out and see if that helps me out. I'm coming from a webcam, want to send it to my server (need to set that up), and then out to the users. I'll post back with any results.

stonkers
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby stonkers » 09 Oct 2006 19:16

Ditto! I need to go from webcam to pc to server in Colocation to web.

When one of us figures this out, we need to put a doc together detailing the "how we did it" for future generations...

ustunozgur
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ustunozgur » 10 Oct 2006 20:27

I'm a new user too, so I am not sure if this helps, but anyway: When streaming from the webcam, make sure that you transcode the output.

stonkers
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Answer Posted on...

Postby stonkers » 18 Oct 2006 21:14

...the following thread:

viewtopic.php?t=26990

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”