video output via Windows-GDI....

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DonPedro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

video output via Windows-GDI....

Postby DonPedro » 14 Oct 2006 23:13

Hi there,

I was hoping to substitute all those stupid players with video-lan player. My problem is simply that it seems to be impossible to let a video play in a small "always-on-top" screen without the GUI around it.
I discovered the "Windows GDI" output and was pretty happy, but unfortunately the video is not being scaled in the window. So if I decrease the size of the output window the video is simply cut off.
Such options like "Video 1:2" or else also do not work.

Any suggestions?

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 15 Oct 2006 02:38

the zoom option does not work in vlc 0.8.5, it will work in next release: 0. 8.6

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: video output via Windows-GDI....

Postby DJ » 15 Oct 2006 04:57

Hi there,

I was hoping to substitute all those stupid players with video-lan player. My problem is simply that it seems to be impossible to let a video play in a small "always-on-top" screen without the GUI around it.
I discovered the "Windows GDI" output and was pretty happy, but unfortunately the video is not being scaled in the window. So if I decrease the size of the output window the video is simply cut off.
Such options like "Video 1:2" or else also do not work.

Any suggestions?
Try the non embedded mode! For the most part this is better for full screen mode where you want to show the GUI without returning to a windowed mode.

The zoom feature works fine here. (0.8.5)

DonPedro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DonPedro » 15 Oct 2006 10:13

First of all: Thanks for the replies...
Second: I'm from germany so maybe I wasn't able to make myself very clear... (It's not always that easy to find the right words :-)

What I need would be a display-mode similar to the one offered by the BS-Player. Simply the video in a seperate box with the GUI not shown und the whole thing should be scaleable and it should have a "always-on-top"-mode.

Is that possible?

P.S. Where do I find the "non embedded mode" ?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 15 Oct 2006 23:10

1. Not familiar with BS player. But the non embedded mode of wxWidgets will allow what you are describing. Preferences, Interface, Main interfaces, wxWidgets "Embed video in interface" would be un checked.

2. In VLC version 0.8.5 the player or interface is scaled to the videos real resolution so this should not be an issue for what you are asking. There is a way to over ride this and make it consistently the same size however.

3. Always on top seems to vary with the video card. It works for me but a few others say it doesn't. So you will need to try this.

4. Also in preferences -> wxWidgets is "System tray" (on), "Task bar" (off) and "Minimal interface" (on) These changes will give you no windows borders round the video and when you minimize the interface it will go to the system tray. All controls are available by right clicking on the video window and clicking on the window for full screen.

A new shortcut would be smart at this point. There should be nothing after VLC.EXE IE NO Options. :)

DonPedro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DonPedro » 22 Oct 2006 19:17

Hi there...
thank you very much for the replies. Unfortunately something seems to be wrong with my system. Everytime I check all the boxes you advise me to the player quits with a nice drwatson-prompt ;)

Anyway... I think I will simply give up and go on using both players.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 22 Oct 2006 19:55

It is possible you have been playing with the preferences and managed to select some incompatible combinations. Try erasing the preferences folder or clear preferences as this will take you back to the defaults. Then try the settings again.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”