Running VLC from a dll instead of activeX

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
aagis
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby aagis » 05 Oct 2006 17:03

Hello everyone,
I've been dealing with some nasty issues while trying to incorporate the VLC ActiveX in an application and was wondering wether it is possible to use a dll (libvlc.dll) directly to simplify the design and hopefully avoid these issues. Does anybody know if something like that is possible?

Thank you,
Agis Andreou.

schao
New Cone
New Cone

Postby schao » 05 Oct 2006 23:00

What nasty issues are you referring to? I just used the activex control from VLC 0.8.5 in my C# program is works fine. Just don't forget to run it by regsvr32 first.

I also downloaded the VLC source and recompile it. The recompiled VLC works fine after I deleted the manifest file but can't get the recompiled activex to work. I first unregistered the 0.8.5 activex and re-registered the compiled version, but when I run my app, the cone hat remains and my video won't play. I also noticed my compiled VLC and activex have a huge footprint , around 13MB. Has anyone got the recompiled activex to work? Thanks.

Uge
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Uge » 18 Oct 2006 17:14

I tried to get rid of the cone hat, borders and unchangable background color by diferent ways. Using some ResHackers utilits I only removed the cone hat and made background color black. But some white borders remained. It looked horrobly. Well, then I wrote an OCX (I was really afraid of changing original code of VLC - if it's free it means nothing!). My own OCX is the best solution for me. No borders, customable background color and picture, allow/disallow doublclick, hot keys and many other interesting things and the main one - it is absolutely safe for IDE - no automation errors, no memory read/write errors or crashes. And NO any hackers need! It will work with all next versions of VLC ActiveX correctly. I don't need to place VLC ActiveX on my forms, I even don't need to include VLC ActiveX in my projects! Only my OCX! It works for about 3 weeks on 17 computers (LAN) and there aren't problems. So I can share with you one trick: my OCX loads right to memory small app from its res. That app includes VLC ActiveX. My OCX sets hook on form with VLC and grabbs video-windows (2), places them into yourself and controls any videoplaing by controlling of the hooked VLC in hidden app. All VLC plagins attached to fake app, not to IDE!
Sorry for my poor English

mcbotha
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Running VLC from a dll instead of activeX

Postby mcbotha » 08 Sep 2007 16:40

Uge, I was reading with lots of interest your post on your OCX. I'm sitting with the same issue of the cone showing as well as not being able to move the component in the IDE.

Would you be so kind as to post your code please?

Uge
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Uge » 09 Sep 2007 00:01

Would you be so kind as to post your code please?
No problem. Where to post? I dont know your email.

mcbotha
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mcbotha » 21 Dec 2008 21:43

Sorry for taking SO LOOOOONG :shock:
My email is mc@biolight.co.za

LLE

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”