SkyStar2 + Alt-DVB + VLC, streaming over DSL (512 kbps)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Medox
New Cone
New Cone

SkyStar2 + Alt-DVB + VLC, streaming over DSL (512 kbps)

Postby Medox » 21 Sep 2006 21:19

hello all, i'm new here

i searched on the forum for an hour but still didn't find exactly what i'm searching
i want to stream alt-dvb channels over vlc to an other ip, i have a 512kbps dsl
i downloaded vlc but i don't find the ss2 on the wizard or other places

i tried the netclient feature from alt-dvb but it sends streams with 500-900kbps over lan and over the internet with 50 so the client pc didn't sees anything because it's too slow!

how can i make vlc to send streams from my alt-dvb with 50-55 kbps ? how do i encode channels in real time to send then with that slow speed?

or tell me how to make it run... encode... or something else, just want to send the channels to the client ip with 50-55 kbps.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Sep 2006 21:51

There is no easy one solution does all answer. As it rather depends on your source which we assume to be MPEG 2 in a MPEG TS container and the format and container required for the stream and the method for the stream. In general using the Stream Output menu selecting the container and formats then reducing the bit rates and or resolution should give adequate answers. A bit of experimenting will be required for any given situation.

Keep in mind that transcoding is required for streaming and if you have problems it is smart to separate transcoding from streaming by making a local transcode and playing it back. Also monitoring Messages before, during and after the transcode can be helpful. :)

http://wiki.videolan.org/index.php/Main_Page
Tons of information on formats, containers, streaming and how to

viewtopic.php?t=20037
Transcoding in VLC 0.8.5 and earlier

Medox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Medox » 21 Sep 2006 23:44

10x !
i'll try it in the next days

Medox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Medox » 22 Sep 2006 17:14

how can i make to see my skystar 2 in vlc?

i want to get my alt-dvb working over a network but i want also to change the channels remotely, like i sayd i'm new to vlc and don't know only what i've read on this forum.

isn't ther a howto for dvb cards for windows?
hope some of the develovers takes some time and explains all the things to configure to get a skystar2 and alt-dvb over vlc working, doesn't have to be alt-dvb, just a dvb soft that when it's started on the host pc to be remotely accesed from a other pc but not like it's done with the netclient from alt-dvb because that's more for lan and i want to make that working with dsl (~50kb/s)

@DJ
i've searched something usefull in your links but i don't understand all that

if someone allready got something like this working, post !!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 23 Sep 2006 22:39

Well! I think the biggest problem is getting your DVB card to work with VLC. As of 0.8.5 support for Direct Show drivers is available. But this does not work for many of the newer DVB cards. Perhaps this will change with the newer releases. :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”