New binary release for debian ....

Feature requests for VLC.
Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

New binary release for debian ....

Postby Mimiru » 22 Jun 2006 16:45

Hi,

It would be great if we can have a new binary release for the debian sarge and etch distro ....... the actual are 0.8.1 ............

there is no actualisation in the official debian repositories too .....

Compiling it is a way too complex for just a regular use (and there is no howto for compiling it as the vlc team does).

thanks

Postby Guest » 22 Jun 2006 19:57

Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mimiru » 22 Jun 2006 20:18

this is compiled for Debian sid ...... witch is the unstable branch ..... compiled with versions of libraries of the sid branch.

Install it means to convert all the distro to unstable ...... witch is not really a good thing if you want a stable desktop ......

Debian is more stable than others ..... ok ..... that's why I use etch (testing branch) ........ but sid (unstable) is really unstable ......

it seems that debian prefers more totem or mplayer witch are more actualised than vlc ...... and vlc itself doesn't propose actualised repository (even for the sources I think)

So what do we do ? quit vlc ? quit debian ? ......... why do I have to make those decisions ?

and for people that doesn't know a lot in linux will not know how to install the unstable package manualy and will not know how to compile vlc (witch is a process quite complex whith all those library)

That why I request binary package for debian sarge and etch.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 24 Jun 2006 15:31

Sid isn't unstable. I've been using it for 3 years and it only broke twice (once zsh and once xorg)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mimiru » 24 Jun 2006 20:29

for common user it's unstable ...... what is your level of knowledge in debian ? The majority of the users of VLC doesn't have your knowledge.

Keeping sid stable needs higher knowledge of debian than the mean knowledge of debian's vlc users.

it needs knowledge because /
1 - many scripts are broken
2 - each dist-upgrade you need to reconfigure all
3 - sometimes the install cd of sid is broken
4 - you need sometimes to fullfill the dependency on your own (because some package are not well linked in the apt system)
etc etc etc

Why discard sarge and etch ?

Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mimiru » 24 Jun 2006 20:30

I will add also the thing that if you install a program on sid (and sometimes also in etch) it can desintall many other program if you don't pay attention of what apt say.

Johnm

Postby Johnm » 25 Jun 2006 02:41

I would like to 2nd Mimiru's request for a Debian binary of the latest version of VLC.

I am trying to sort out some issues with Mythtv, Lircrc and VLC and having a version later than 0.8.2 would be great.

Thanks
JM

Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mimiru » 07 Jul 2006 23:33

Please, consider it .......

not all vlc users are advanced users ......

tvtalkshowshigh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tvtalkshowshigh » 02 Sep 2006 19:44

i'll second (erm, third...) that!

0.8.2 is getting old now. i think it's good for debian beginers (like myself) to learn to complie things themselves; it's a fundamental part of using gnu/linux, but vlc's quite a big task to undertake as your first go at compiling.

i compiled vlc on windows once. it took me a week of reading the forums, and some serious head scratching before i finally got there.

i generally use the nightly builds on windows anyway, and i've never had a problem with stability so i can't see that being too much of a problem. It'd be nice though if someone with the expertise could get 0.8.5 on the repository.

thanks,
mark.

Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mimiru » 03 Sep 2006 05:04

and you are a person that try to learn more .....

there are that doesn't bother on "how to compile" or "how to convert my system to unstable"

Linux must not be a synonym of difficult.

tvtalkshowshigh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tvtalkshowshigh » 03 Sep 2006 10:57

oh i agree completely. i'd hate for vlc to be the reason that someone doesn't make the switch from windows to debian.

Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mimiru » 03 Oct 2006 18:56

I'm angry because there is no move of the team on this subject.

Plus, there is a lot of proof in this forum for the need of a REAL SUPPORT of vlc under debian.

The thing is that vlc is poorly supported under debian ...... vlc team does not want to admit it because for them debian users must have their level of knowledge.

1 - Must use unstable
2 - No actualised deb in vlc mirror
3 - vlc is unstable under debian

the vlc works better under ubuntu than under debian. That a fact.

but everything is fine isn't it ? "We program under debian" isn't it ?

Maybe the solution is to tell everyone (noob and others) to compile their own version of debian ?

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 03 Oct 2006 21:01

hi

i offer you my help to obtain an updated debian binary for stable & testing

the main problem is that i'm not running debian, so if you can provide me an access to a debian machine, i will be happy to package vlc and to update the debian repository at videolan.org

the vlc team has a lot of things to do: code, fix, answer in the forums and mailing list, etc...
so that's why they don't have much time left for packaging

there is a lot of distributions, and some provide bad or outdated packages (i think to ubuntu and debian)

videolan team can't, don't want, and won't maintain up to date vlc packages for all this distributions.

so i hope i can do something for you, but as an exception!

Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mimiru » 03 Oct 2006 22:51

well,

in fact there is no trouble for me to do it ...........

but I don't know :

1 - how to make a correct deb package (debian help does not help a lot for that)
2 - the default parameters used by the vlc team to generate their package

If you can give me those informations, I can provide the debs for stable and testing in debian

funman
Developer
Developer

Postby funman » 04 Oct 2006 01:15

Re

for your last message:
1/ use 'dpkg-buildpackage' command
2/ all vlc source packages provides the debian/ directory that containes ALL information needed to make a debian package
(vlc team just extract the source, cd vlc-0.8.5 and dpkg-buildpackage, nothing more)

i just installed debian sarge to figure this out: vlc 0.8.5 depends on many libs that simply don't exist in sarge, or are way too old:

dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: gcc-snapshot mozilla-dev (>= 2:1.7.10-1) libaa1-dev libarts1-dev (>= 1.4.2-1) libavahi-client-dev libavcodec-dev (>= 0.cvs20050918-2) libavformat-dev (>= 0.cvs20050918-2) libdvbpsi4-dev libflac-dev (>= 1.1.2-3) libgnutls-dev (>= 1.2.8) libhal-dev (>= 0.5.5.1-3) libmatroska-dev (>= 0.7.7) libmpcdec-dev libpostproc-dev (>= 0.cvs20050918-2) libsdl1.2-dev (>= 1.2.7+1.2.8cvs20041007-5.3) libwxgtk2.6-dev

so what you can do is:
- drop a LOT of functionality of vlc to build a package for sarge
- rebuild also all these libraries AND their dependancies if they are outdated too
- switch to unstable
- switch to another distro

sorry for that, but debian stable is too old

Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mimiru » 04 Oct 2006 01:32

vlc does not compile in inself the codec like the windows version ?

we absolutly need to have those lib to be able to run it ? we can't fuse them into the vlc binary ?

funman
Developer
Developer

Postby funman » 04 Oct 2006 02:34

vlc statically links the ffmpeg libs for the windows version

under linux, it's usually shared, but nothing changes: you have to build it

even if you want to statically link all the libs, you need the new versions

Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mimiru » 04 Oct 2006 16:52

well it delay it but it's not impossible ..... compile everything is just a matter of patience and time ......

How do we tell to static link the libs ?

Plus there is marillat that has already done the codec compiling part for sarge, etch and unstable ....... ;) but if it's not sufficient I'll do it myself.

funman
Developer
Developer

Postby funman » 05 Oct 2006 12:11

so good luck!

Mimiru
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Mimiru » 06 Oct 2006 03:22

but how do we do to compile vlc with static link ? anyone knows ?

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”