DVB support for Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Milenko
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Milenko » 13 Jul 2006 10:59

I was on IRC and noone was able to tell me if it's possible with VS. I just don't have the Time to setup and study another Development Environment. Isn't there anyone who is familiar with MingW and could merge my Code with a MingW Project?

Postby Guest » 13 Jul 2006 21:20

You could find some help from doom9 forums, there are few people whom compile video software, I hope they can help you with Mingw.

Underveloper

Postby Underveloper » 17 Jul 2006 15:21

Hi Milenko,

Compile VLC with M$ compiler is really impossible. This is a hard task... it can be done in the future, but not at time.

Nevertheless, you can do this:

With MinGW it's easy to use DLLs from other compilers. You only need to create your own DLL, and generate OBJ and HEADER directly from the binary file (you can found useful information in the sourceforge web).

The solution is setup the current Windows environment for compile VLC (ask to main developers for this) and modify the source code in this environment for use your own DLL.

For sure, this is not the best solution; but it's a practicall way to start the BDA support in VLC. Peharps, after the first release, others can do the porting of your DLL to MinGW.

Good look!

Milenko
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Milenko » 18 Jul 2006 11:43

Thanks Underveloper. I'll try it this way.

vibez

Postby vibez » 28 Jul 2006 10:35

Hi,

Sorry to beg, but i'm really looking forward to BDA support. Has there been any development?

Questioner

Postby Questioner » 30 Jul 2006 17:54

As I suspect many people are looking into this thread like me, looking for a solution to stream DVB-T to LAN, I think this question is ok here:

Does anyone know of an intermediate solution for Windows to do this while waiting for DVB in VLC?

Thanks a lot!

Postby Guest » 30 Jul 2006 19:24

polyphemus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Any progress on BDA support?

Postby polyphemus » 17 Nov 2006 16:52

Has there been any news / progress on the "BDA support" (for DVB-T) mini-project?
... just an open question....

Cheers
Polyphemus

polyphemus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Any progress on BDA support?

Postby polyphemus » 17 Nov 2006 16:54

Some time ago, some posts indicated that something might happen on this front - any news/progress?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 17 Nov 2006 21:32

As of now, no developers have reported to be actually working on this. :(
Don't use PMs for support questions.

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 21 Nov 2006 15:10

any more on this

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 10 Dec 2006 19:24

As of now, no developers have reported to be actually working on this. :(
A pity... :?
Wake up, we are now in the digital era! :P :wink:
http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?showtopic=6214

there is a library to add DVB (BDA) to VLS(C) ....
SVN are here:
http://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/medi ... /TvEngine3

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 10 Dec 2006 19:52

There are currently no developers that work fulltime on windows, nor are there developers that have such a device.

You could always consider doing it yourself of course..
Instead of asking other people to WAKE UP.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 10 Dec 2006 22:17

There are currently no developers that work fulltime on windows, nor are there developers that have such a device.
Oh really ? No developer is having a TV card ? I can't believe that.
How did you develop and test the DVB feature in the Linux version then ?
Instead of asking other people to WAKE UP.
There is no need to ask because as I said above the DVB feature already exists in the Linux version of VLC.
VLC is also already working fine when using the Windows BDA drivers of a TV card but only for analog TV's.
I just wonder why the DVB feature is not implemented yet in the Windows version of VLC.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 10 Dec 2006 23:07

I'll rephrase my point
1: There are no ACTIVE developers for windows version
2: From the people keeping the windows version alive, no one has a DVB card.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 07 Jan 2007 16:57

Maybe, if possible, this is only a suggestion, as VLC is already working fine with the Windows BDA drivers for analog TV's and radios, the DVB part could be ported to the Windows nightly builds so we'll be able to do some tests :wink:

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Jan 2007 10:09

foxi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby foxi » 24 Mar 2007 00:03

Will do....

Would be nice if one of the VLC Dev's could give me a hint where to start looking at the VLC Sources for the DVB part.

HI Milenko,

have you heard/seen/done anything wrt to support of DVB-T for Windows-VLC ? What I have seen you could be the guy make (made :-) it happen!
The WM in Germany is history and (the very well deserved) celebrations should be over since a few weeks....

would be nice to get some information regarding this topic
cheers
foxi

kenself
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kenself » 31 Mar 2007 22:34

Will do....

Would be nice if one of the VLC Dev's could give me a hint where to start looking at the VLC Sources for the DVB part.

HI Milenko,

have you heard/seen/done anything wrt to support of DVB-T for Windows-VLC ? What I have seen you could be the guy make (made :-) it happen!
The WM in Germany is history and (the very well deserved) celebrations should be over since a few weeks....

cheers
foxi
I am currently working on Windows VLC support for BDA, specifically DVB-T but it should be readily adaptable to ATSC, DVB-S etc.... Right now I have managed to tap into the MPEG transport stream by using the ISampleGrabber filter between the capture device and the MPEG2 Demultiplexer. VLC recognises the stream as MPEG TS but its giving lots of warnings and errors. When I stream to a file and playback I get a small amount of recognisable video but the file is heavily corrupted. I suspect I am dropping packets but not sure if this is happening in the filter graph or in the interface back to VLC.

foxi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby foxi » 02 Apr 2007 09:39

Will do....

HI Milenko,

cheers
foxi
I am currently working on Windows VLC support for BDA, specifically DVB-T but it should be readily adaptable to ATSC, DVB-S etc.... Right now I have managed to tap into the MPEG transport stream by using the ISampleGrabber filter between the capture device and the MPEG2 Demultiplexer. VLC recognises the stream as MPEG TS but its giving lots of warnings and errors. When I stream to a file and playback I get a small amount of recognisable video but the file is heavily corrupted. I suspect I am dropping packets but not sure if this is happening in the filter graph or in the interface back to VLC.
... each journey starts with the first step ! And it seems you already did a lot of steps :-)

I am down on my knees, full of respect for your work and saying:
May the force be with you!

thx for the update, cheers
foxi

PS: is there an outlook in which version of VLC kenself's work could be integrated?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 Apr 2007 10:16

Well, if KenS provide a working version before one month (estimation), it will be in VLC 0.9.0, even if the version is far from being perfect. After, it will be for 0.9.1
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 02 Apr 2007 13:15

Well, if KenS provide a working version before one month (estimation), it will be in VLC 0.9.0
Aaaaah would be soooooo nice! :)

Can't wait, let's whip Ken! :lol: :wink:

kenself
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kenself » 03 Apr 2007 21:53

At my current rate one month might be pushing it.

I solved one problem where I was getting 6 times as much data as I should. Now I am getting a more reasonable size set of data but still dropping packets all over the place so its not yet watchable. I may need to rewrite the Sample Grabber because I suspect the problem is that the default one only uses a small buffer - too small. If I go down that path its a whole new area to learn! M$ definitely didn't want to make this easy.
I'll keep you all posted.

If morale improves will the whippings stop?

kenself
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kenself » 03 Apr 2007 23:40

On second thoughts I am almost there. As they say in the classics - If I had a brain I would be dangerous. Forgot that I was running VLC at low priority whilst debugging in case it got caught up in a loop so it wasn't able to keep up with the stream. Changed to run at normal priority, fixed the way I was calculating buffer sizes and bingo!
Just a couple of tasks left to do now:
1 - Enable tuner device selection (I have a dual tuner card)
2 - Enable programme selection. I am currently capturing the entire TS stream which is handy some of the time but not always very practical.

FireW0lf
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FireW0lf » 05 Apr 2007 18:13

Awesome work so far!

Like the linux DVB drivers, will this support multiple channels at once per device, or will you lock it to a single channel? Perhaps you can set an option where the user can choose via a checkbox - multiple channels at the cost of more CPU, or single channel for a more lean approach

Personally I would prefer the most channels at once that my PC could handle - means I can watch one while recording another :D

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”