VLC browser plugin?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
MikeBell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC browser plugin?

Postby MikeBell » 05 Dec 2003 23:45

Does anyone know if there are any plans to develop a VLC plugin for Mozilla/Safari/Netscape? That would be extremely useful!

Mike

DufuZ
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DufuZ » 06 Dec 2003 07:05

Hi.
If you read the http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/NEWS then u see they are starting on a experimental plugins for Mozilla on Mac OS X and Windows :)
DufuZ =)

Murray
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Murray » 06 Dec 2003 19:26

Someone wrote recently on the VLC mailing list that he has plans for an ActiveX / Internet Explorer plugin as well.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 07 Dec 2003 10:42

But that's only for Windows of course....

I would like to further develop the mac version of the plugin before releasing it. A very basic version is now possible, but i don't think i will release it with 0.7.0 just yet. It's still too basic.

It would create a problem with user support, an area which i already have to spend more time with than i like.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 16 Jan 2004 13:18

any news on a browser plug-in for mac os x? it would be very useful for playing windows media stuff. the microsoft version is terrible! thanks

buchhardt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby buchhardt » 17 Feb 2004 01:14

Could anybody give me a hint where to find the Internet Explorer plugin and explane me how to install and test it ?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 17 Feb 2004 20:41

No one is currently working on the OSX mozilla plugin. Noone seems to have the time for it, or the interest. There is no IE plugin available at all. Someone wanted to write one, but nothing was ever again heard from this person
Don't use PMs for support questions.

PicNiK

Postby PicNiK » 21 Feb 2004 19:41

I got npvlc.dll from Win32 release of VLC Player in the "mozilla" directory.
As Opera supports netscape/mozilla plugins I happily copied into the Opera's plugin folders.
And it worked! ... partially :(
Opera stopped responding and performed an illegal operation while I leaved the page that had EMBED MPEG video.
I hope that the next version of plugin will fix this.
Also no player controls were available(play, pause, stop, fullscreen...), this is very annoying. Also some additional META info or properties of the loaded file would be useful.

And the most annoying thing.... NO STREAMING WAS AVAILABLE!
This is extremely annoying, why did the VLC Plugin fist wait to download COMPLETE file from the internet and they play it??
It would be very nice that the video would srteam immediately(or as soon as possible - like QuickTime plugin or WindowsMedia Plugin).

And fix your VLC Documentation:
http://www.videolan.org/doc/vlc-user-gu ... lugin.html

EMBED tag is WORNG it's not by w3C standards. And also some guy that invented this tag is requesting LICENCES for using EMBED tag.

Use the OBJECT tag.
More info:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#h-13.3
You are spreading WRONG information, please fix.
Webdesigners are having already much trouble with flash embeding (and validiating).

Thank You, i hope that my feedback will contribute to a better quality. :)

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”