Modification to wall code for front projectors.

Feature requests for VLC.

Modification to wall code for front projectors.

Postby Guest » 12 Jul 2006 19:30

Let me start by saying i'm really impressed by VLC.. you guys are doing a bang up job with it :)

I have a home theater and use front mount projectors.. I'm very interested in your wall code as it lets me use multiple projectors to display a single image.. however there exists the issue of being able to get a constant gamma and no "seam" between the images.

Would it be possible to add an overlap area to the code with a gamma function in the overlap zone?

say you have one row and two columns. instead of a 50/50 split.. each window would replicate some of the same data..

so with a video that's 1920 pixels wide.. instead of each window being 960 wide.. it'd be 1280 wide with 320 pixel overlap area. basically split it into 3rds.. one third from the left, one third blend, one third right.

the blend area itself would need a gamma gradiant applied to keep the brightness linear.. the left most image would fade to "0" on the right edge.. the right most image would fade to "0" on the left side.

given enough cpu horsepower i'm sure you could do huge walls this way with seamless images.

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/colour/edgeblend/ <= this page explains it better than i can.. plus it has pretty pictures :)

currently hardware exists to do this.. but at about $20K per box.. is quite out of reach of the home theater hobbiest

Postby Guest » 12 Jul 2006 20:13

scratch this..

someone started working on a widget that does this and released an alpha on the 6th..

called panoramix

looks to do exactally what's needed :)

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 12 Jul 2006 23:03

Just curious: Do you have a link to that panoramix project ?
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 12 Jul 2006 23:04

Never mind ... i found it. I guess that i'll write an email to the author :)

In case people are looking for it (see page3 for screenshots): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=692824

edit: added link
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

v1rtu0s1ty
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby v1rtu0s1ty » 02 Jan 2007 19:57

Can we compile this panoramix plugin on linux? If so, where can I find the code?

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”