Version 0.8.5, crop-geometry option works only globally

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Version 0.8.5, crop-geometry option works only globally

Postby Lurker » 09 Jul 2006 23:30

I'm trying to set up cropping separatelly for different streams. I've tried :crop-geometry in the command line after .m3u with streams, tried #EXTVLCOPT:crop-geometry for each entry in an m3u play list, to no avail. It looks like currently VLC supports this option only globally...

Will it be changed? Or did I miss something?

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2006 23:51

How are you attempting this? Please post the command line and or any changes to preferences.

Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lurker » 10 Jul 2006 00:30

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the preferences matter for this case, because they are global. What I've tried:

Code: Select all

vlc --crop-geometry=525x574+9+2 tv.m3u
and it does work, but for the whole playlist, and whatever I open in the VLC until I close it.

The following:

vlc tv.m3u :crop-geometry=525x574+9+2
is expected to work as the first command line, but I don't see cropping at all. Also I've tried lines in the m3u like:

#EXTM3U #EXTINF:0,A TV Channel #EXTVLCOPT:crop-geometry=525x574+9+2 udp://@239.255.0.97:5500
which does not result in any cropping as well.

What I'd like is the latter (or similar) example to work, so that I could set cropping to all the streaming channels individually.

Well, speaking about preferences, yes, the "crop" module has been activated globally. But it should be obvious because the first example works OK.

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2006 00:40

I'm trying to set up a shortcut to play anamorphic. I can get the crop function to work in the settings menu, but I want to create a shortcut just for anamorphic video.

Why doesn't this command line crop anything?

C:\Root\Video\VLC\vlc.exe --intf wx --crop-geometry=1280x364

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2006 01:30

Hmm! I may not be the best one here to answer your questions! But I will try to shed some light on what I can.

In your first example, I would expect this to work only if the filter in Preferences --> Vireo --> Filters "Crop video filter" was turned on. Given you are doing this on the command line it's an over ride to the global settings in preferences for the duration of that session of VLC.

In your second example I think the problem appears to be Syntax:

:option An option that only applies to the playlistitem directly before it
and that overrides previous settings.

But there are no previous settings to over ride. So the command would probably be:

vlc <path>tv.m3u --crop-geometry=525x574+9+2

This also assumes that the "Crop video filter" was turned on and the setting would be an over ride of preferences for the duration of the VLC session.

In your third example I believe the last line which is source is also a Syntax error:

udp:[[<source address>]@[<bind address>][:<bind port>]]
UDP stream sent by a streaming server

However like the rest of the examples it is going to create an over ride for the settings in preferences and be in effect for the duration of the VLC session and again this assumes that the "Crop video filter" was turned on.

About the only way to get crop settings for each item in a playlist would be to create a batch file naming each of the items in the playlist and selecting the options for each of those items on the command line within the batch file. The other option would be a Auto-crop feature that actually worked! :lol:

Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lurker » 10 Jul 2006 01:54

The "previous settings" are also the global settings, aren't they? OK, I also tried

vlc --crop-geometry=768x574+0+2 tv.m3u :crop-geometry=525x574+9+2
The URL in the play list seems to be correct... at least it works. I forgot that I also tried

#EXTM3U #EXTINF:0,A TV Channel udp://@239.255.0.97:5500 :crop-geometry=525x574+9+2
To prove my thoughts that the local option should override the default is that the following

#EXTINF:0,Euronews #EXTVLCOPT:audio-track=1 udp://@239.255.0.120:5500
does work in the same playlist: it selects the second audio stream for that channel only.

A batch file is no go: I can't switch between channels with it, especially no way to switch back.

Autocrop probably works for black borders, but not for garbage around the picture that was digitized from analogue sources, and that's what I want to get rid of...

Should I file a bug then?

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2006 02:49

The "previous settings" are also the global settings, aren't they? OK, I also tried

Code:
vlc --crop-geometry=768x574+0+2 tv.m3u :crop-geometry=525x574+9+2
Not sure if this will work or not. Considering there is no previous file that ever got opened it is doubtful that the first option was ever activated for the second option to create an over ride. So I would kinda expect there to be no crop function. The same is true for the default parameters of 0
The URL in the play list seems to be correct... at least it works. I forgot that I also tried

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,A TV Channel
udp://@239.255.0.97:5500 :crop-geometry=525x574+9+2
I wouldn't expect this to work either because you are not passing the parameter in this Syntax.

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,A TV Channel
#EXTVLCOPT:crop-geometry=525x574+9+2
udp:[[<source address>]@[<bind address>][:<bind port>]]

Seems more correct and would expect this to work.
To prove my thoughts that the local option should override the default is that the following

Code:
#EXTINF:0,Euronews
#EXTVLCOPT:audio-track=1
udp://@239.255.0.120:5500

does work in the same playlist: it selects the second audio stream for that channel only.
Now I'm a bit confused because this caries the same Syntax error and I wouldn't expect the parameter to be passed and you say it works???

Perhaps there is someone else, like a dev that will comment here and clarify this. After all this is NOT what is stated in the Help file for Syntax and until you use the right syntax or get another opinion I can't really consider it a bug. :lol:

Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lurker » 10 Jul 2006 11:45

OK, tried URIs in the form of

udp:@239.255.0.97:5500
without any success either. Though I've looked the source code, and I see it does not really matter. Also, in the Open Network Stream dialog, when I type the address/port, the field Customize is filled with an URI in the form that I used before.

Or did I misunderstand why you think the syntax is wrong?

BTW "autocrop" does not work locally as well.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Jul 2006 11:54

Auto-crop does some very strange things... I don't believe it was ever finished. Would be nice if one day it would work! 8)

Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lurker » 10 Jul 2006 12:17

OK, comparing how VLC handles audio-track and crop-geometry options, I've found the difference: the crop module calls config_GetPsz (config_GetInt for "autocrop"), while "audio-track" value is queried via var_Get. The latter looks through the local settings, and the former (config_Getxxx) looks only into global settings (command line overrides the config file).

So, no luck here, but still I don't understand whether it is a bug or a feature...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”