Can't play *.flv files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.

Can't play *.flv files

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2006 06:12

Hi ! Since I installed the 0.8.5 version, I can't play my *.flv files anymore. Simply nothing happens except that vlc opens with the path to my file appearing in the bottom of the window as usual. I tried restore of my system and reinstallations of VLC without success.

I hope I'm clear, I would love to be able to watch my movies without having to install another program specifically for that format (flv) :o

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 08 Jul 2006 11:27

Are you having any problems with other types of files?

Or perhaps I should ask if you have tried other types of files?

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2006 18:27

No, the player works fine with *.mpg, *.mp4, *.mov, *.wmv, etc...

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2006 19:27

There have been a few other reports of people having problems with .flv

It has been stripes in the video in some clips and others are OK! I have tried a few problematic clips and not had a problem with them, other than not being able to search within a file. It is my understanding that some work has been done on .flv and is available in the nightly builds. But considering I'm not having a problem playing only searching I have not tried this. There are no settings that I am aware of that will help. :cry:

http://nightlies.videolan.org/

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2006 16:06

Thank you, but I don't have this kind of problem.

My video doesn't play at all and furthermore, I never had difficulties watching a *.flv with the old version, the image was perfect.

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2006 16:25

I'm not sure you understood what was being said. :P

1. This file type is experimental.

2. It has never worked perfect in any version of VLC.

3. It is still being worked on and you can try an nightly build to see if your problem improves.

4. To date only a few people are having problems. These problems are vertical stripes in the video on some files but not all.

5. There is still a problem with searching within a file.

6. There are no settings to make changes for this file type.

All the video clips I have looked at, even the ones that are problematic seem to play correctly with VLC 0.8.5 at least for me. :)

As to why YOU are having a problem of NO video when others are not seems somehow related to your particular system or hardware.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to update DirectX runtime. Last version is 6/9/06

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2006 17:20

Ok but it's the same flv files as before and I didn't change anything to my system. Also, the DirectX I have is the same. :o I know we can't search within a *.flv (although it is possible sometimes) but I never had vertical stripes in the video. That's why I said the image was perfect on my system.

I'll try a nightly build but the problem seemed more severe to me than a simple bug. That's why I came here to signal it :o

More simply, if I could find a 0.8.4 build of VLC, I'll reinstalle it and everything should be back to normal again, I guess :o

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2006 17:21

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to update DirectX runtime. Last version is 6/9/06
How ?

Kyle

Can't play *.flv files

Postby Kyle » 09 Jul 2006 17:21

I have the same problem. I used an older version (not sure which one) of VLC player and it played all my *.flv files perfectly. I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything. I downloaded the new version and it plays everything except *.flv files. It will play a few *.flv files just fine, but most (almost all) of them won't play at all. I have WindowsME.

Kyle

Can't play *.flv files

Postby Kyle » 09 Jul 2006 17:25

I'm trying older versions. They have all of them available to download.
http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2006 18:22

Thank you Kyle. I installed 0.8.4 and everything is back to normal :D

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 12 Jul 2006 21:07

Often times in this situation where some users are experiencing difficulties and others are not, Messages can be very helpful to see what's going on in your system before taking the time and effort to exchange the versions. :wink:

Paganel 75
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Can't play *.flv files

Postby Paganel 75 » 03 Jun 2008 16:08

I had/have the same problem : using the VLC version shippable with SuSE 11.0 (RC1), which is 0.8.6h Janus, I am unable to play FLV files loaded from YouTube via the Video Downloader Firefox (3.0b5) plugin.

I am going to see whether it works if I disinstall it and install 0.8.4 instead...

Thanks for the tip. And also for VLC (0.8.4), which is/has always been great on Linux Suse (10.3) ! :D

lwc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lwc » 11 Jun 2008 00:14

nightswings
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nightswings » 13 Jun 2008 04:14

I have not had this issue in the past, but most recently, it occurred to myself as well. I tested on my laptop and received no issue with a clean install, but the replacement installation to 8.6 (first d and now to h). I have the same problem, but only with the upgrade. It seems this upgrade might leave something out. I get the following error, but only on certain FLVs which used to work fine:

Unrecognized format for <filename>.

What is the module used for the display of flv files?

I'm going to do a comparison on the two directories tonight if I can and try to see if there's something missing.

Nights.

Update:

opened debugger in VLC to see what was the issue below are details:
main debug: adding playlist item `C:\Documents and Settings\<masked>\Desktop\A4GFSJ1ZM[1].flv' ( C:\Documents and Settings\<masked>\Desktop\A4GFSJ1ZM[1].flv )
main debug: creating new input thread
main debug: waiting for thread completion
main debug: thread 4088 (input) created at priority 1 (input/input.c:265)
main debug: drive letter C: found in source
main debug: `C:\Documents and Settings\<masked>\Desktop\A4GFSJ1ZM[1].flv' gives access `' demux `' path `C:\Documents and Settings\<masked>\Desktop\A4GFSJ1ZM[1].flv'
main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='C:\Documents and Settings\<masked>\Desktop\A4GFSJ1ZM[1].flv'
main debug: looking for access_demux module: 1 candidate
main debug: creating access '' path='C:\Documents and Settings\<masked>\Desktop\A4GFSJ1ZM[1].flv'
main debug: looking for access2 module: 5 candidates
vcd debug: trying .cue file: C:\Documents and Settings\<masked>\Desktop\A4GFSJ1ZM[1].cue
vcd debug: could not find .cue file
access_file debug: opening file `C:\Documents and Settings\<masked>\Desktop\A4GFSJ1ZM[1].flv'
main debug: using access2 module "access_file"
main debug: pre-buffering...
main debug: received first data for our buffer
main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='C:\Documents and Settings\<masked>\Desktop\A4GFSJ1ZM[1].flv'
main debug: looking for demux2 module: 45 candidates
ffmpeg debug: detected format: flv
ffmpeg error: Seeking too far : EOF?
main debug: selecting program id=0
ffmpeg debug: adding es: video codec = VP6F
ffmpeg debug: adding es: audio codec = undf
ffmpeg debug: AVFormat supported stream
ffmpeg debug: - format = flv (flv format)
ffmpeg debug: - start time = 0
ffmpeg debug: - duration = -1
main debug: using demux2 module "ffmpeg"
main debug: looking for a subtitle file in C:\Documents and Settings\<masked>\Desktop\
main debug: looking for decoder module: 28 candidates
ffmpeg debug: libavcodec already initialized
ffmpeg debug: postprocessing disabled
ffmpeg debug: ffmpeg codec (On2's VP6.2 Video (Flash)) started
main debug: using decoder module "ffmpeg"
main debug: thread 4124 (decoder) created at priority 0 (input/decoder.c:159)
main debug: looking for decoder module: 28 candidates
main error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `undf'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
main debug: killing decoder fourcc `undf', 0 PES in FIFO
main debug: `C:\Documents and Settings\<masked>\Desktop\A4GFSJ1ZM[1].flv' successfully opened
main debug: EOF reached
main debug: closing input
main debug: removing module "ffmpeg"
main debug: removing module "access_file"
ffmpeg debug: ffmpeg codec (On2's VP6.2 Video (Flash)) stopped
main debug: removing module "ffmpeg"
main debug: thread times: real 0m0.109393s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s
main debug: thread 4124 joined (input/decoder.c:191)
main debug: killing decoder fourcc `VP6F', 0 PES in FIFO
main debug: thread times: real 0m0.125021s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.015625s
main debug: thread 4088 joined (input/input.c:412)
main warning: unable to find parent!
main: nothing to play

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”